Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Comments needed...

JDigital's Suggesting I'm absolutely not following the rules of the contest, as "the AGA 5.5 Has to be used".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
GENERAL GUIDELINES:
-You can mod all you want as long as you start with a STOCK tank and deduct costs from your budget.
His argument is I'm breaking the rules by having the tank custom built/rebuilt with 5mm glass + 3" overflow extension. I've assumed that by keeping the overall outside dimensions (except for the 3" overflow addition), I was following within the rules. Including deducting all costs to do this.

Now perhaps my original question to JDigital was pushing a bit much. (I did ask if I could reuse the stock aga 5.5 as my sump) In retrospect, I'll stick to my rubbermaid sump...

I can see JD's point, so where do we go from here?

I've started with a AGA 5.5 STOCK tank... Complete with hood & AGA packaging. Do y'all want to see a dissasembly of the 5.5, and a pane by pane replacment? This would fall within the rules as I read them - or can I just skip the dissasembly of a 5.5?

What do you guys think/want?
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

i think the fairest thing to do would be to disasemble the stock tank and then add on
Old 10-16-2008, 02:12 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

My explanation stands as per my latest PM.

I made a clear point no custom tanks were allowed in the Original contest thread.

"GENERAL GUIDELINES:
-You can mod all you want as long as you start with a STOCK tank and deduct costs from your budget."

Mod the STOCK tank.. Not, break it down into pieces, then get a shop to build you a new tank out of stronger glass.

Of course you have to use the stock tank... what would be the point in making everyone go buy a AGA tank, just so they can toss it to the side and get a shop to build them a new one with different glass? You keep mentioning "rebuild"... you're not getting the stock one "rebuilt", your getting a completely new tank built with new glass.

I'm sorry if you don't think this is fair, but you are not the first person I have talked to about this subject.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-16-2008, 03:09 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Regardless if you can use this in the contest or not please keep us posted on your progress. This is going to be one kickass tank, you have alot of interesting concepts that i would like to see finished.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

if i recall Michika wanted to do the same thing with glass she had left over and it was disallowed.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 AM

JDigital - brought this out of pm's so it's out there and transparent to everyone. Then there's no questions later on.

If it's a matter of colby doing the work - I'm more than happy to build the tank myself...

So, If I'm to tear down the 5.5g, remove and replace the sides n bottom (adding 3", in 1/4" of course), Laminate the ends together to create an adequate back, install a new front... Laminate the sides & cut to length to create the 3 baffles, Use the old bottom to create a eurobrace... Then we wouldn't be having this conversation right?

Rebuilt / built - take your pick, I can't go out and buy a AGA built out of 1/4" glass; and the factory 2mm will not last (Blew a seam on my AGA 2.5g last night test running a 1g surge; same construction same glass thickness); thus it doesn't meet my needs thus as the rules say, modding to meet my needs. Which is allowed, I have a picture of a 5.5g stock tank - My modding is going to start with replacing all the glass; not asking to have this for free - I'm happy to account for the costs... Name the terms; I don't see why I can't replace all the glass, but If I have to go with the previous paragraph, I can do that too...
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.

Last edited by AndyL; 10-16-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: stupid computer
Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
JDigital - brought this out of pm's so it's out there and transparent to everyone. Then there's no questions later on.

If it's a matter of colby doing the work - I'm more than happy to build the tank myself...

So, If I'm to tear down the 5.5g, remove and replace the sides n bottom (adding 3", in 1/4" of course), Laminate the ends together to create an adequate back, install a new front... Laminate the sides & cut to length to create the 3 baffles, Use the old bottom to create a eurobrace... Then we wouldn't be having this conversation right?

Rebuilt / built - take your pick, I can't go out and buy a AGA built out of 1/4" glass; and the factory 2mm will not last (Blew a seam on my AGA 2.5g last night test running a 1g surge; same construction same glass thickness); thus it doesn't meet my needs thus as the rules say, modding to meet my needs. Which is allowed, I have a picture of a 5.5g stock tank - My modding is going to start with replacing all the glass; not asking to have this for free - I'm happy to account for the costs... Name the terms; I don't see why I can't replace all the glass, but If I have to go with the previous paragraph, I can do that too...
I don't care if Colby does it, you do it, or anyone else... replacing the glass with thicker glass is out of the question. You are making this more difficult that it should be.... If you can't build the setup with a stock tank, then so be it.

I think your idea is great, and would love to see this tank, but your not allowed to replace the stock glass. I told sphelps that, I told michika that, and a couple others that only wanted to build a custom tank who decided to opt out of the contest. If you need to discuss this further, feel free to call me.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

This is true, I wanted to rebuild the tank mainly for thicker glass, but to stay withing the rules I kept all viewing panels original and used all the glass in the build. I'm not a huge fan of some of the rules but they are what they are, I've already tried your angle and it won't fly so you'll have to figure something else out.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 AM

What's killing me is I started this thread yesterday with my full plan laid out - to avoid questions/disputes after the contest started... Nobody said a thing - 2nd paragraph of the first post says "rebuild with 1/4" glass adding 3" in length". Today this becomes a problem... This is where the frustration lies.

So, where does the compromise lie - I can tear this down as detailed in my last post still retain all the glass but add some new sides, 1 end and bottom. Other option I see is to laminate all the glass, still extending the length still retaining all glass in factory location - just adding 1/8" laminated over top.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

does the glass need to be thicker for drilling purposes? To withstand 22 cal gun fire? I am lost.