Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-16-2018, 12:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPREEF View Post
Ohhhh, you've been using air fresheners or something? Why do you think there are actually VOC's in your tank?

Wait, who's the OP in this thread? I'm confused.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
I have been looking in to this a bunch. Many vendors are still selling the reactor packages with the led lights wrapped around. I’m wondering if this happens over time as the acrylic gets older, constantly being heat up and cooled. I’m not sure, the reactors used most often are the AquaMaxx though.
Well that issue can certainly be worked around. I haven't seen it become an issue though. I'll keep an eye out for it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Those setups are so sweet with the internal light tube but so pricey. I have a ball of chaeto in my sump right now but haven’t saw any growth out of it really. How long does chaeto normal take to see noticeable growth with nitrate and phosphates present?

I’m jealous that you need to dose nitrates. I’m hoping with the upgrade in tank that my bioload is reduced a bit that it lowers in the water volume. Otherwise I will have to stick to the chaeto and vinegar dosing.
I'm not sure on the chaeto growth, I had some in my sump when I started and it started falling apart and died on me. I can't seem to grow it at all. I only run a skimmer, real live rock and Brightwell Xport brick in the sump. I don't carbon dose or anything like that. I dose nirtates to keep them detectable and Iron once a week.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ohhhh, you've been using air fresheners or something? Why do you think there are actually VOC's in your tank?

Wait, who's the OP in this thread? I'm confused.
No I have not but my wife likes to use sented candles which also contain VOC's, I had her stop for the last few weeks. You can also get a build up from any kind of spray cleaner etc, lots of different stuff has it if.

And YOu obviously know who the OP is, I was offering my experinces on this since it's the same or very similar. DkoKoMan seemed to welcome my findings, I can stop posting in the thread if it's bothersome NP.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPREEF View Post
And YOu obviously know who the OP is, I was offering my experinces on this since it's the same or very similar. DkoKoMan seemed to welcome my findings, I can stop posting in the thread if it's bothersome NP.
I realized after I posted that you weren't the OP. I edited that part in.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I welcome all feedback It’s interesting how slime shows up in some tanks and not in others. Update... chaeto is still alive (slow growing as I haven’t noticed it any larger) and dosing 18ml vinegar. The slime has all retreated, the filters in between the baffles are not plugged and nitrates are still a little high. I’m going to continue to see if the slime returns with the sole use of vinegar as my carbon source.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I welcome all feedback It’s interesting how slime shows up in some tanks and not in others. Update... chaeto is still alive (slow growing as I haven’t noticed it any larger) and dosing 18ml vinegar. The slime has all retreated, the filters in between the baffles are not plugged and nitrates are still a little high. I’m going to continue to see if the slime returns with the sole use of vinegar as my carbon source.
Do you think the vinegar is helping with it or the Chaeto?

I was away for the day yesterday and last night checked on my tank. White slime back with a vengeance, I hate this stuff. :/
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 PM

Definitely not the chaeto lol. When the slime was around it would just get stuck in the chaeto ball and kill it. The vinegar seems to be working well, it is a lot slower in reduction then the vodka though. Was do No some reading and ethanol is 8 times more of a carbon source then vinegar. My thought is I will stay slow and steady adjusting my vinegar dose each week.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:08 AM

Serpantkeeper is on a distinguished road

Are you still running a NO reactor or just straight vinegar? Think running both would be bennificial?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpantkeeper View Post
Are you still running a NO reactor or just straight vinegar? Think running both would be bennificial?
Dosing the vinegar once daily. Also have a chaeto ball in my sump (not seeing anything superficial from it) and running GFO. Will keep this thread updated on a weekly basis for observations and parameters.

Tags
slime