Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default which ro unit to get?

Just a note on the instructions for mixing the acid. They state that you should add the water to the acid....this is wrong. Mixing acid and water produces an exothermic (heat producing) reaction and can cause splashing. Always add acid slowly to water while stirring. And don't breath the fumes.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:23 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, lets see here...

I can spend $25 every 6 months or so for replacement sediment and carbon canisters and take 2 minutes to remove the old and screw the new in, or....

I can spend $10 on replacement chemicals for a TWP, spend 20 minutes playing with (and also disposing of) potentially dangerous chemicals that caution the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> THE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS CONTAINED HEREIN ARE HARMFUL.
BOTH CHEMICALS CAUSES SEVERE BURNS TO EYES AND SKIN ON CONTACT. VAPOR
HARMFUL MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED.
MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS IF SPLASHED IN EYES.
USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think so! I think I'll take the safe and easy route for $15 more.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:32 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Ah c'mon Andrew, live a little [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .
Old 10-02-2001, 01:37 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

The flow rate that I use is about 1 gallon per hour. That is significantly below the rated flow (which is 10 gals per hour), but the water quality is a little bit better with slower flow rates. I just plug in the TWP when I get home from work and turn it off before I go to bed. Also, you can use warm water for DI.

As for recharging....strong bases and acids are used to recharge the TWP. When bases and acids are mixed together (in correct proportions), they cancel each other and form a neutral (pH=7) solution.

Note that eventually you will need to buy another TWP cartridge because you always loose a bit of resin (those green/yellow/purple pebbles in the TWP) while recharging or during normal use.

For those interested in a even less expensive water conditioning....I have heard of some reefers using regular tap water as top off water. This only works if you have really clean water or if you drip your top off with kalk. Kalk is suppose to precipitate phosphates and minerals out of the water.

- Victor.

[ 02 October 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]
Old 10-02-2001, 02:39 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Victor,

I did that with the Kalk.. It took a while but I did see a decrease in the algae I had in my old 90. So it will pull the phosphates out or help to.

Now tho I prefer my RO/DI. Tastes so damn good too.. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2001, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

hey darren,
whats the maintenance like on your RO? how often to replace cartridges and how much $$?
thnx
Old 10-02-2001, 06:14 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

I wont speak for Darren, but according to the manufacturer of my RO/DI unit they recommend changing the sediment and carbon pre-filters every 6 months (about $20 for both) which should allow the RO membrane to function well for about 2 years (about $75 for a replacement)

If you also have the DI cartridge, it is supposed to process 400-500 gallons before needing replacing (about $30)

Of course this all depends on how poor or good your tap water is to begin with. If it is high in TDS (total disolved solids) your pre-filters will exhaust a bit sooner, if your tap water is already low in TDS then your filters will all last that much longer.

Best to own a TDS meter to check the TDS levels of both the processed effluent as well as the waste water from the RO membrane. This will tell you exactly when it's time to replace the cartridges.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:29 PM

Mine is recommended to change every twelve months..

I didn't buy one made for aquarium useage.. I wanted it to be one certified for human consumption as well.. Went with one from Andrew Sheret n sons in Victoria. Didn't pay as much as I would have for the Kent but am happier with it..
Old 10-02-2001, 08:54 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road

whoooaaaa, darren. you didn't pay AS MUCH? was it cheaper at andrew sherret? is it as good as any of the others? can you provide some more info on your ro/di. thanks.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:54 PM

It is a 24 GPD Aqua Flo. RO/DI.. And will be converting it to a 35GPD when I change the cartridges. easily done.. at least once I get the directions it will be.. lol Five stage. Human consumption RO/DI.. man it tastes sooo nice.. I'll look up the model number..

I paid $400 for it all told.. There abouts..

[ 02 October 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]