Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM

ensquire is on a distinguished road
Default Lights

I just realized that I have been subjecting anyone looking in to a lot of really blue pics. My lights have been sitting there and not really programmed. I will get on that tomorrow for some more natural coloration.
But till then, here are the last of the blue pics. Maybe. for now.

Brought out all the buckets, jugs, rubbermaids, and garbage cans and drained most of my day old salt water and started my least favorite part of this tank. If I could pay someone to aquascape the tank, I WOULD.

Added about 50 lbs of Special grade reef sand. Have over 2" of sand and thinking that it's alot
See how that goes.

Total time for draining tank, aquascape, and returning water. 4 Hours.
I know it shows, not totally happy with it. Would have been nice to have a better selection of rock to work with but......

So far the only problem is my skimmer. Having an overflow problem with it.
Took it apart and cleaned it up. Raised it up about an 1 1/2" . Seemed to help and then as I was leaving for work it was spewing skimmate out the lid again. Unplugged it and will play tomorrow.

Thats it for now.

Wow , just noticed that it's almost quitting time. A nice productive night all around ...

Last edited by ensquire; 06-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I'd suggest you turn off your pumps for a few hours while the sand settles, so you don't sand-blast your impellers
I changed socks for over 12 hours after I added sand, and I hate to think what I did to my return pump

Skimmer may be spewing due to the LR being out of water for a bit, or the oils from your arms and such
Once the sand settles, turn you skimmer back on and let it overflow for a bit to get rid of any oils you may have left behind ... just a thought
Old 06-26-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I'd suggest you turn off your pumps for a few hours while the sand settles, so you don't sand-blast your impellers
I changed socks for over 12 hours after I added sand, and I hate to think what I did to my return pump

Skimmer may be spewing due to the LR being out of water for a bit, or the oils from your arms and such
Once the sand settles, let your skimmer overflow for a bit to get rid of any oils you may have left behind ... just a thought
Thanks again. will make it dark and still when i get home.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Default A Week in

This was right after the sand settled, Deep sand bed. LOL

Dumped in the box of Prodibio Startup and waited 2 days. Added first goodie.

SWC 160 cone wouldn't stop with the major micro bubbles, so I switched in an old skimmer. Same results.

Put SWC back in and let it run for awhile and it stopped producing so many bubbles. At least none that were making it to the DT. But it is sensitive, any little disturbance and the bubbles start to flow through entire system. Not sure if its to much flow through the sump or another flaw in design but I will keep playing till it works better. Bubble trap doesn't seem to be doing it's job though.

This is a bubble storm picture after disturbing skimmer.

This is non bubble storm.

Starting to like the aquascape a bit more .

Side view..

Good turbulence on top Sicce moves lots of water.

Last edited by ensquire; 07-03-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

It's alive..... ALIVE...... Looking good mang..... I used "start" too..... I thought I was really putting a lot a faith in a bottle (I added six fish after moving a ton of rock) and the product seems to do as advertised
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 PM

I know what you mean about the prodibio, I was thinking that 30 vials for 90 was excessive but why not . getting a bit of algae now so things must be coming to life. Waiting for a couple of new test kits to make it up and then I will check it .

How you liking Edmonton? I doubt I could live in any big city after spending so many years up here. Rush minute is only 15 minutes usually
Plus if I had a real LFS that was salty, I would be broke all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
It's alive..... ALIVE...... Looking good mang..... I used "start" too..... I thought I was really putting a lot a faith in a bottle (I added six fish after moving a ton of rock) and the product seems to do as advertised
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

i too used prodibio startup and so far im impressed but 30 vials on a 90..... are yuo sure thats right i used 30 vials on my 180.. not thaat it will hurt it it says you cant overdose

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

the tile looks cool mike! a very different approach, but I like it, bonus parts include, it will look even better with coralline, and I'm sure mounting coral to it would be very easy lol, looking good!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
i too used prodibio startup and so far im impressed but 30 vials on a 90..... are yuo sure thats right i used 30 vials on my 180.. not thaat it will hurt it it says you cant overdose
The box suggests 30 vials for 90 to 300 I believe. I probably could have gotten away with 15 but plans are to slowly stock it. Too much good bacteria souunds better than not enough. I really wasn't sure, but I'm comfortable with the decision. Hope I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
the tile looks cool mike! a very different approach, but I like it, bonus parts include, it will look even better with coralline, and I'm sure mounting coral to it would be very easy lol, looking good!
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on it. I saw it on a thread on RC and liked it. Only thing I wish is that the tiles were darker. I was also thinking of making a couple of shelves with the left overs but decided against it. After aquascaping I see that I totally could have done a shelf or two along the back.......
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 AM

Default Time for an update

Wow, did not realize that it had been this long. Lots of changes to the tank in the last few months.
After a few weeks all tests said that it was time to put some goodies in the tank.
First package came courtesy of Carrera75. Mostly Acans, lots of Zoas and some Pipe Organ corals.

Sorry but still using Iphone, so the pics aren't that great.

After a week I Had a outbreak of Hair algae. Called J&L and ordered a bigger CUC and a couple of grazer fish. A Two Spot Tang and a Starry Blenny. All I can say is "WOW" . They Made short work of the Algae.
Unfortunately, my fish pics with the Iphone are even harder to see than the coral pics. Although there are no pics to prove it,Trust me I bought fish.