Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Attachment 8860

This is the sump I am working with 60x18x18. It has a section for auto top offs, water in, baffles, skimmer and return section. What if any mods would you make? My thoughts are to add live rock/sand, but add a separate compartment for the refugium, simply block of the end with eggcrate and add some chaeto. This is my first sump so I'm not sure what I should do if anything. If changes are made, its not coming home today. Thanks for any help/suggestions
Exact size of my new sump! lol

Not sure if you're a refugium type of girl or not but at this stage of the design it's easy to accomodate for one. You may want to think about it for nitrate control. Of course there are other nitrate control methods, but the fuges are just so cool!

What kind of sand are you thinking?

Also let's see that fish list!!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kien, that's what we are going to do! Kevin at RC kindly helped with the plumbing layout drawings tonight, so hoping to get it started!

Reefergirl, are you redoing everything?

I do like the refugiums, I can still add one in, along with a mod for filter socks.
Def a courser sand, the stuff in my current tank has all blown to one side and the front is now bare. I haven't looked at brands yet...not going with all live tho.
Ummm, fish list is at work, got a little distracted
Without being overly specific
Wrasses
Blue powder tang
Brown powder tang
I so would love a trigger-reef safe if possible, think these are cool looking fish but need more research
That's all I remember atm
Of course my current fish, 2 sebae clowns, royal gramma, solar wrasse, cardinal.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

sorry I missed your pm(was at work)......but ya, +3 (Kien, Kevin)......the big section would be great for whatever skimmer you ever decide to go with......have your drains dump as close to the outside edge of the big compartment as possible......if you want to run filter socks, a holder could be done with glass or acrylic or even eggcrate.....skimmer then fuge/spare rock (partitioned off from the skimmer with eggcrate).....bubble trap then return.....a nice tunze ATO and Bob's your uncle
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 01-27-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Thanks Kien, that's what we are going to do! Kevin at RC kindly helped with the plumbing layout drawings tonight, so hoping to get it started!

Reefergirl, are you redoing everything?

I do like the refugiums, I can still add one in, along with a mod for filter socks.
Def a courser sand, the stuff in my current tank has all blown to one side and the front is now bare. I haven't looked at brands yet...not going with all live tho.
Ummm, fish list is at work, got a little distracted
Without being overly specific
Wrasses
Blue powder tang
Brown powder tang
I so would love a trigger-reef safe if possible, think these are cool looking fish but need more research
That's all I remember atm
Of course my current fish, 2 sebae clowns, royal gramma, solar wrasse, cardinal.

Well... we are doing a few changes. Like you, I have the most awesome boyfriend in the world. It was actually his idea to get an aquarium in the first place. Little did he know!! LOL But this is your build thread!! Let's talk more about you and your set up.

What do you think about the niger trigger? I'd love to get one of those when the time is right. I know they don't have much for color but they just look so majestic.

And what are your plans for the first tank? Are you going to keep it up like it is right now or are you going to do something different? Sell it off to pay for the new baby?

I'm sand shopping too at the moment. We have the bare bottom right now and I don't like it. Sometimes I wish there was a magic calculator you could plug all your dimensions and equipment into and it would tell your options are for sand, rock, what your potential future upgrade options are, etc. Maybe one of the more tech-savy vendors on this site could create one.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
sorru I missed your pm(was at work)......but ya, +3 (Kien, Kevin)......the big section would be great for whatever skimmer you ever decide to go with......have your drains dump as close to the outside edge of the big compartment as possible......if you want to run filter socks, a holder could be done with glass or acrylic or even eggcrate.....skimmer then fuge/spare rock (partitioned off from the skimmer with eggcrate).....bubble trap then return.....a nice tunze ATO and Bob's your uncle
That's the plan for now! Will modify as we go if needed! The bf is trying to complicate things....gotta reign him in lol. Thank you!!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM

Update your build thread!

The Niger trigger is gorgeous but aggressive and not reef safe. I want a peaceful community tank, with a bigger tank, there's so many choices! I saw a couple gorgeous butterflies and angels tonight but again not reef friendly!

I want to turn the little one into a pony tank but bf says I have to take it down. I don't see why I can't have 2 tanks...will see, our office is moving this spring, maybe move it there, drive the boss crazy!

There was a recent thread on sand types here, or just start one. I've been reading a ton on skimmers, pumps, lights. I learn it as I need it otherwise it makes no sense.

Will post updated pics over the weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl189 View Post
Well... we are doing a few changes. Like you, I have the most awesome boyfriend in the world. It was actually his idea to get an aquarium in the first place. Little did he know!! LOL But this is your build thread!! Let's talk more about you and your set up.

What do you think about the niger trigger? I'd love to get one of those when the time is right. I know they don't have much for color but they just look so majestic.

And what are your plans for the first tank? Are you going to keep it up like it is right now or are you going to do something different? Sell it off to pay for the new baby?

I'm sand shopping too at the moment. We have the bare bottom right now and I don't like it. Sometimes I wish there was a magic calculator you could plug all your dimensions and equipment into and it would tell your options are for sand, rock, what your potential future upgrade options are, etc. Maybe one of the more tech-savy vendors on this site could create one.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 AM

Tank is on the stand! Woot!! Question - the wood was cut to the stand but the tank is about an index finger wider than the stand if placed flush on one side and the end. Obviously we can move it so the overhang is less but is this an issue?? The tank does have black trim but the overhang is slightly more than the trim.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:45 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

center it even on all sides you will be ok

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The sump is coming home tonight. I'm going to start it by keeping things simple for now. The wood for the stand has been sealed and plumbing will start this weekend. I've ordered my lights, going with the radians, should be here next week!! Ive got a tunze 9011 skimmer which I will use to start up and see how it performs in the sump, but will upgrade if needed. My mp40 has crapped out so I'm sending it away for repairs, as it's still under warranty. Will be adding one more once tank is running. I've also started a fish list but it's too soon to worry about yet.

I will need more lr, got 60lbs in the 55, picked up another 30+ lbs last week. I'm thinking 30 lbs lr and 50 lbs base rock and new sand to start the cycle. Will not be transferring current sand as it's too fine. How much sand do I need? I am loving the wrasses, so a sand bed is needed.

Will post pics as things start. What else should I be thinking about to get going equipment wise??
Thanks

Nice looking tank you have! Good light choice and you will be happy with the Radions. How many are you ordering?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 AM

Going with 3 radions.
Thanks, the set up looks even better now...here's a pic. Because the tank was brought straight inside the house when delivered, I was not allowed to paint the back of the tank. Will pick some backing and see how that looks. will also be cutting back the foam under the sump. Plumbing this weekend....omg I'm excited. Will post pics as we go...