Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

The tile idea is good as you have more control over spillage and spray, so don't bail on the idea yet.
I can't do anything about my carpet as the tank is in the livingroom and we just had the whole house re-carpeted.
I haven't slept right since the end of October when I decided to sell all my FW gear and go SW, so I know Exactly what you mean.
Can't fall asleep, wake up in the middle of the night thinking, get up after 1 or 2 hours, pull 36 hours straight ...
I'm getting close though, so hopefully, once I get my rock 'cooking' and all the plumbing/electrical done, I'll sleep normally again as I am absolutely Bagged
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

looking good i will say that the euro bracingismaking me re think a few things.. i willbe following i may be bugging you for a few measurements atyur conveinence tho

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Looking good Sheena!.....I know exactly how exciting this stage of the game can be.....and somewhat overwhelming for a first time reef tank builder.... Like I said at the shop, feel free to PM me if you need/want to..... And have fun
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Hope they continue to support the addiction!
Muahahahaha little do they know what they are getting themselves into

Seriously though that's awesome, congrats and good luck with the build
Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Hmm, electrical - going to have to take a look at this bit. My current set up is a bit of a mess....

Lockrookie - If I can answer your questions, I'll be happy to, as long as you can answer mine

Thanks Doug, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be bugging you! Will be stopping by this week I'm sure as we want to get started on the plumbing.

Laurie, all they keep asking me is how much everything costs and what I've already spent on my little tank (which looks super small now).

Question - how thick should the plywood and foam be for the base? Picking up today, can find 1 inch foam (was told to get 3/4 inch), is this too much?

Also, boyfriend wants to plumb an overflow for the sump directly into the house plumbing. Has anyone else done this? There are plumbing lines in the wall behind where the tank will be going so this is where he wants to go. I'm researching like crazy and I haven't found anyone who has done this.

I hope you all don't mind if some of these questions seem silly or dumb, this is my first build ever and going to need loads of help and input!

Thanks

Last edited by Coralgurl; 01-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Question - how thick should the plywood and foam be for the base? Picking up today, can find 1 inch foam (was told to get 3/4 inch), is this too much?
I would say that a minimum of 5/8 plywood but 3/4 is ideal. I believe that all pink foam boards are 1". as long as it's dense foam I would say that 3/4 would be OK.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Also, boyfriend wants to plumb an overflow for the sump directly into the house plumbing. Has anyone else done this? There are plumbing lines in the wall behind where the tank will be going so this is where he wants to go. I'm researching like crazy and I haven't found anyone who has done this.

I have my skimmer drain plumbed in, make sure you use a trap to prevent smell from backing up
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM

The sump is coming home tonight. I'm going to start it by keeping things simple for now. The wood for the stand has been sealed and plumbing will start this weekend. I've ordered my lights, going with the radians, should be here next week!! Ive got a tunze 9011 skimmer which I will use to start up and see how it performs in the sump, but will upgrade if needed. My mp40 has crapped out so I'm sending it away for repairs, as it's still under warranty. Will be adding one more once tank is running. I've also started a fish list but it's too soon to worry about yet.

I will need more lr, got 60lbs in the 55, picked up another 30+ lbs last week. I'm thinking 30 lbs lr and 50 lbs base rock and new sand to start the cycle. Will not be transferring current sand as it's too fine. How much sand do I need? I am loving the wrasses, so a sand bed is needed.

Will post pics as things start. What else should I be thinking about to get going equipment wise??
Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Sump design.pdf

This is the sump I am working with 60x18x18. It has a section for auto top offs, water in, baffles, skimmer and return section. What if any mods would you make? My thoughts are to add live rock/sand, but add a separate compartment for the refugium, simply block of the end with eggcrate and add some chaeto. This is my first sump so I'm not sure what I should do if anything. If changes are made, its not coming home today. Thanks for any help/suggestions
Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Attachment 8860

This is the sump I am working with 60x18x18. It has a section for auto top offs, water in, baffles, skimmer and return section. What if any mods would you make? My thoughts are to add live rock/sand, but add a separate compartment for the refugium, simply block of the end with eggcrate and add some chaeto. This is my first sump so I'm not sure what I should do if anything. If changes are made, its not coming home today. Thanks for any help/suggestions
My suggestion would be to swap the in and out compartments. That is, make the "in" compartment bigger than the "out" compartment. Reason being, by placing your skimmer and potentially other media reactors in the "in" compartment your bubble trap will trap potential bubbles from your skimmer and reactors. However, if you place your skimmer in your "out" compartment as you have it now you have nothing to stop/reduce bubbles that may be ejected from your skimmer from getting into your display.