Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 AM

fooser is on a distinguished road

I guess pictures of the tank would have been a better way to answer your question, but I did not take any full tank shots prior to seeing that post, so that will have to wait 'til the next time I have a day off with the camera

For now, I thought I should finally put up some pictures of the unseen parts.

My little fishroom to contain the mess that my wife dreads from this hobby. The empty bottom tank is to be a future quarantine.

Frag system (if I ever get my corals big enough to frag again) or nursery for injured fish or corals that need extra attention)

Auto top off reservoir

Water change system (to be plumbed in) Top barrel is for fresh water, bottom is for salt water, a large external pump will power the salt mixing/pumping into the sump. One valve controls the freshwater that drains to the salt barrel below. Another valve controls if the water continues to cycle and mix in the bottom saltwater barrel or if it goes to the sump instead.

Eight circuit panel just for my tank related consumption

Return, Emergency backup overflow to sump, and Main overflow to sump

The heart. Hammerhead pump that runs the operation.

splits off 3 ways, first valve goes to frag tank, second valve goes to media reactors, the rest goes back to the display

Looks like a mess, but it works. Carbon and Bio-pellets

How it all comes down. Main drain goes deep into the water in the back section (as well as the frag tank's), the emergency hangs suspended over 1 of the filter socks but is used only in emergency. 2 filter socks hang suspended on a removable glass tray for easy access to clean the socks. Don't mind the microbubbles, those are no longer there now that I adjusted the herbie.No salt spray!

The float valve I took a blow torch to bend a 90 degree into and use to control the autotop off. Yes, the water in the sump is above the normal level as I just cleaned my filter socks and all the water that was clogged in there is now in the sump. Good thing the total water volume is so big that this has almost no impact on the salinity.

Super disorganized sump, yes, I do plan to take that useless live rock out, it was initially there as backup rock for future aquascaping, but I think I changed my mind)
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 AM

Super fuzzy electric

Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

I don't know why I missed your building thread. You have a very beautiful tank, too many nice corals for me to drool over and a very nice group of wrasses too.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear things are doing well for you =) I won't have any budget for LED upgrading for at least a year but there are more success stories all the time which is nice. I've accepted they're superior than halides in almost every way except perhaps aesthetics. And obviously that's a personal thing... but a major thing as all of our efforts culminate in how the reef actually looks to our eyes.

I'm amazed the single fixture has enought front-to-back to keep everything happy do you have sticks growing nearer the from of the glass? Is the unit closer to the front of the tank?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
I don't know why I missed your building thread. You have a very beautiful tank, too many nice corals for me to drool over and a very nice group of wrasses too.
Thank you Casey. I am not surprised my thread got missed though with all these other amazing builds. I have a long way to come back. Also, I have not been actively posting or updating as I am not a very active member anymore . Maybe I need to go and start looking through some recent posts in other build threads to catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Glad to hear things are doing well for you =) I won't have any budget for LED upgrading for at least a year but there are more success stories all the time which is nice. I've accepted they're superior than halides in almost every way except perhaps aesthetics. And obviously that's a personal thing... but a major thing as all of our efforts culminate in how the reef actually looks to our eyes.

I'm amazed the single fixture has enought front-to-back to keep everything happy do you have sticks growing nearer the from of the glass? Is the unit closer to the front of the tank?
I know what you mean Brett, after a major purchase or improvement to my system, I basically have to disassociate myself from all stores and stay off the forums since I know my weak will will break me if i see anything before I financially recover. Why do we pay to torture ourselves this way haha?

Yes, there does seem to me more and more advocate towards LED now than a year ago for sure. Yes, technically the one fixture is enough for the depth and width of my tank. I am super surprised as well as I was very skeptical about that even with a friend who knows the fixtures inside out re-assuring me it was more than enough. I should have expected that he was right though and he was. I do have SPS growing within about 2.5" from the front of the glass now. When my tank budget recovers, I plan to get 2 strips of the Illumilux as supplementals along the front row (probably just all blue LEDs like an actinic florescent kind of idea). The Illumina is currently hanging perfectly centered in my tank to the millimeter.

What can I say. I guess I am trusting my tank to Vertex to almost everything going forward....Good part is, all of Vertex's products are super nice looking aesthetically and they all perform over my expectation.

Oh, out of curiosity, what do you mean LEDs are better in every way to halides besides aesthetics? My impression was they had more even light spread, sleeker looking fixtures, and still maintain the shimmer effect?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

man you sure know how to keep a crowd waiting in anticipation Anthony........and you sure know how to update a thread......awesome pics mang.......with me making the decision to go LED it sure is reassuring to hear and see that the sky wont fall after I switch....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
man you sure know how to keep a crowd waiting in anticipation Anthony........and you sure know how to update a thread......awesome pics mang.......with me making the decision to go LED it sure is reassuring to hear and see that the sky wont fall after I switch....
Oh Doug, you are too kind, but I doubt anyone on here even knows I exist
I am finidng it much more difficult to get a good pic now that I have 19mm thick glass and most of my corals are placed pretty far back compared to my old little tank
Oh, which type of LED are you leaning towrds? A fixture or a DIY?

Here is something you don't see often...not a dendro?.. but sure does look like one. Note the flourescent green mouth and it has green stripes down the body. Aww, it even has little babies popping out now.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 AM

krazykarl is on a distinguished road

Very nice looking tank scape, corals and fish look forward to seeing the tank develop into a sweet reef!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooser View Post
Oh Doug, you are too kind, but I doubt anyone on here even knows I exist
I am finidng it much more difficult to get a good pic now that I have 19mm thick glass and most of my corals are placed pretty far back compared to my old little tank
Oh, which type of LED are you leaning towrds? A fixture or a DIY?

Here is something you don't see often...not a dendro?.. but sure does look like one. Note the flourescent green mouth and it has green stripes down the body. Aww, it even has little babies popping out now.
It's a Balano, and I told you that when I busted off my colony :P

Damn Anthony, look what getting married has done to your memory, lol.

Anyway, nice fish room -___________-