Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I had a Tomini tang in a 3'x2' tank and it was a great addition. This tang isn't a very active swimmer and spends most of its time picking at the rocks instead of doing laps. Mine was very peaceful and had lots of personality and was easily my favorite fish in the tank.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

right on . these are great posts

wasnt looking for the green light to add 20 tangs to my tank lol , I was just looking for some of your examples of 1 or 2 that you thought were doing well .

great .
so it appears that people do keep some tangs happily in slightly smaller tanks
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post
so it appears that people do keep some tangs happily in slightly smaller tanks
Most people that like tangs and have smaller tanks combine them. I've kept tangs in a 75 and they did fine. I currently have a Sailfin, Purple, Yellow and a PB in my 180 and will be adding an Achilles shortly. They all get along fine and don't display any neurosis
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

I have a 5 foot tank and I also have a Yellow, Powder Blue, and a Red Sea Sailfin Tang and have noticed that the PB is the swimmer as the other don't swim around as much.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Well being in the 8'er club I can say that my lg Sohal tang does do the whole length of my tank from time to time but most if not all of my other tangs really don't. I think a 6' tank is good for most tangs until they get up to 6-8" in body length not including there tail. If you place your rock so that they have lots of room to swim with some hideouts for the ones who like to go into areas like hideouts at night.

My current tangs are Sohal, Sailfin, Luitenent, Purple, Scopas, Orange Shoulder, Yellow & 2 Regals. once my 300 8'er is done there will be an Achillies added.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have a good sized yellow tang in my 6 ft 100g. Most of his time is spent picking on the rocks and back glass for algae and occasionally taking a lunge at my butterfly fish, just to remind them who is boss. But sometimes he makes quick short dashes around the tank, which is usually when he is pooping....
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Tangs don't read a lot online and don't know the rules.

I have the following in a 120... Sailfin, regal, purple, yellow and a kole. They are always in their best behaviour and gets along with the other fish in the tank. I am planning to go with much less rocks in the 120 soon to allow more swimming room for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post op.
Conscientious reefers start with the premise that we want to provide the optimum conditions for the tangs we decide to remove from their sea home. I believe you are one of us.

Tangs are swimmers. They spend their whole day swimming from one end of the tank to the other. Those who have kept tangs in a small four foot tank and mived them to a larger tank have really noticed the difference.

The solution is to simply wait until you have a suitably sized tank. Some reefers try to justify their purchase because it is a small immature tang. The poster who has a sailfin in his small tank will soon see exactly how fast that tang grows. Because it is an easier tang we often see it grow to pie plate
Unfortunately yellow tangs are often seen in small tanks not because it is large enough. We see them because they are common, cheap and often a reefs first tang.
The kole tang, very beautiful and very personable is suitable because the kole kind of hangs around rather than actively swimming.
No acanthrus species should be placed in a tank smaller than six feet because of their size and very active swimming behaviour.

The above information is shared with you not for the purpose of creating a dump on the tang police thread but for the purpose of sharing with you my own experience of 20 yearsthe experience of tang keepers, and what I have learned and read. And, as was pointed out, I read every tang thread everywhere

Grizz when you get a 300 try a vlamingi.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Thanks for the post op.
There you are, I was getting worried
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
There you are, I was getting worried
I try to post within 24 hours