Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-23-2018, 04:10 PM

Synthesis is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at measuring the PAR levels in my tank from the light. Does anyone know where you can rent them? Any reefers here have one laying around they could lend?

Can't see any reason to buy one for the minimal use it will get.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 PM

Noticed today my Trochus snails spawning. Water was all cloudy. Really fun to watch. Hoping some little ones appear. Did some research and I don't think it has any negative impact on the water quality?

Also a month back I noticed what appeared to be a few tiny mysis shrimp hanging out under a rock in the DT. Now there are easily 20+ little mysis cruising around and picking up ditritus and bringing it back to a colony. Like ants. Very fun to watch these little ones cruise around and work haha.

My amphipod population has exploded as well. Fun with bare bottom tank watching these critters running around under the rocks.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:59 AM

Update:

So have been dealing with bryopsis lately. I have my nitrates and phosphates both testing at 0. Which I am certain is leading to some color fade in my corals. Most noticeably the SPS. I have been physically removing it and I think I have it under control. I also have some red algae, which looks like a macro algae that is growing on the rocks. Which is collecting some kind of other algea and looking brownish. You can see it on the photo below on the single rock on the left side.

On a side note....water and electricity don't mix. I electricuted myself during a water change. Long story short, I spilt some salt water on the power extension cord that I had my return pump plugged into. When I was done, I went to unplug the pump and bam.. electricity started flowing through me. Could hear it in my ear! I managed to let go and stumble backwards. It sure woke me up! Thankful I didn't have any body part in water at the time! In ally years of owning an aquarium..this has never happened to me before.

I decided to learn from this and order a new server rack 8-channel switch. And will have this mounted up in the top part of the stand. This way I can control the power that runs to the pump that returns the new water to the tank. Lesson learned.

Updated photo:

Last edited by Synthesis; 02-06-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:04 AM

Default Updated

So its been a while since I posted an update. A lot has happened.

First, I installed the power bank in an attempt to save my life in the future. It fit better then I thought it would.

This has made water changes so much easier. Not sure why I hesitated to get something like this. Cost me 54$ with shipping for this. Worth every penny.

Added another fish, a clown goby which has been a lot of fun to watch. Very active. Never thought I would be seeing the clown goby hosting all my corals over the clown fish...

Added a Tyree toadstool which is doing really well:

Added a frogspawn:

All my other corals are doing well. Trying to manage some algae which has been a challenge yet my phosphates and nitrates are undetectable. I have also been trying to get my parameters in check lately as my tank seems to be consuming alot of alkalinity. Calcium and Mag are fine but I am having to dose alk daily at about 2ml (red sea pro foundation alk) a day right now to maintain 9dkh. But its much better then before when it was reading 5dkh before I started clueing in on it. Funny enough, other then some coloration with my SPS...all the livestock was fine. But still, felt like an amateur not staying ontop of the params like I should have.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Did you kill all the byropsis?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Tanks looking great. Glad to hear you are okay from the electrical shock. Been there and done that lol

Fluconzole for bryopsis, pretty straight forward on how to use it. Save yourself some grief and give it a try, should work wonders.

Keep up the updates.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Electric shock therapy... better than coffee if you really need to wake up and cheaper than a Grande at Starbucks ������

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 04-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyphox View Post
Did you kill all the byropsis?
Almost. Small amounts are lingering. The bigger nuisance to me is this red macro type algae and bubble algae. I will have to get a good photo of the red algae to see if you guys can identify it for me as I cannot online.

My nutrients are always undetectable so not much I can play with there. Which is probably a good thing. Just let this tank mature.

Overall, the tank is really healthy. Flourishing sponges, a colony of mysis shrimp, large community of copepods, reproducing snails etc. So the ecosystem is healthy. It may not be perfectly spotless and clean but it's a thriving ecosystem that...knock on wood...has rewarded my efforts with zero tank losses.

But I am starting to add SPS as part of my mixed reef vision. So things are about to get more challenging.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Tanks looking great. Glad to hear you are okay from the electrical shock. Been there and done that lol

Fluconzole for bryopsis, pretty straight forward on how to use it. Save yourself some grief and give it a try, should work wonders.

Keep up the updates.
Thanks for the recommendation. Will certainly look into this. I must admit that medicating the tank just feels wrong but looks like it's been very successful with killing off bryopsis.

Nice to see some of the long standing canreef members stopping by and commenting
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Thanhk87 is on a distinguished road

I also have bryopsis and i never medicate the tank. I just cut back my feeding by half and 30mins off my light timer and that seem to work.
I dont have direct sunlight but i do know i get a bloom in the summer time.
I just know this seem to work for me.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk