Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM

figdish is on a distinguished road
Default Filter Socks

Can anyone tell me how I can get my filter socks white again. I tried vinegar with a little bleach and that worked great the first time but not since. Last night I tried hydrogen peroxide soak but still not coming clean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks fishy fans
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I use about 1/4 cup of bleach in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle after. It's been over a year. While they aren't like brand new white, they do come fairly clean.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I use about 1/4 cup of bleach in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle after. It's been over a year. While they aren't like brand new white, they do come fairly clean.
same thing as I do, only I run them through a second cycle without bleach to rinse them. All 4 are still white after 1.5 years
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

yah, you've got to use a bunch o' bleach. Even then mine never get back to 'like new' white.

I put mine in the washing machine on 'heavy duty' with the max amount of bleach that the bleach tray will handle, then put it through 3 extra rinse cycles. They still smell faintly of chlorine when they come out, but not after they dry off.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

LOL, yeah, and make sure your wife didn't just do a load with those new Downey Unstoppables! My last socks that went through smelled suspiciously fresh
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by figdish View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can get my filter socks white again. I tried vinegar with a little bleach and that worked great the first time but not since. Last night I tried hydrogen peroxide soak but still not coming clean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks fishy fans
Is there a reason why you want to get them white? I doubt they will get white again after a few uses. Off-white is probably the best you can do :-) The floss material will stain to a point where even bleach won't completely turn it white again. However, this does not mean it is no longer effective. So long as you wash it, it should be good to go even if it is not sparkling white. Again, it just means that the fine strands in the filter sock are stained. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sock is still clogged with gunk, if you've washed it.

Same principle as a stained shirt. Think of a tie-die. The fabric is stained, but you can wash the shirt over and over again to clean it without the stain coming out :-)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM

figdish is on a distinguished road

thanks all for the tips, I think I wasn't using enuf bleach as was only putting a capful in as worried would still be in sock. I don't expect them to be sparkling white but still nasty brown color. Gonna try with more bleach and extra rinses see how that works. thanks again all
cheers
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

How long would you typically say that there good for
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road

I spray mine with a garden hose sprayer in my laundry tub. That's the key. When I have enough for a load of socks I run them with bleach. Mine come out white as the driven snow.