Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aquatic Addictions

Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Nice photos of some really nice corals as usual!

However, I have disheartened to see that you carry Banded Sharks (aka Bamboo Sharks), as well as Flying Gurnards. Both of which should be left in the ocean. Could you explain why you endorse the import of these animals?

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

Nikki or Dan could you please post a pic of the two clowns in that cube at your desk? The cranky looking ones! Also what type of clowns are they and could you get me a pair? Whoa how much first?!!!!!!!
Thanks
Craig
If you decide to frag the aussie maze put me down for a decent sized piece.
A $50ish piece

Last edited by new but handy; 03-22-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 AM

loveless is on a distinguished road

Could you post a picture of the blue line rabbitfish
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 AM

brickwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

However, I have disheartened to see that you carry Banded Sharks (aka Bamboo Sharks), as well as Flying Gurnards. Both of which should be left in the ocean. Could you explain why you endorse the import of these animals?
I don't really understand why they should justify importing anything. What is the difference between the Flying Gurnards or any tang. I am sure you have fish and corals in your tank. Can you justify keeping anything any of them? Shouldn't they have all been left in the ocean? This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of AA.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwood View Post
I don't really understand why they should justify importing anything. What is the difference between the Flying Gurnards or any tang. I am sure you have fish and corals in your tank. Can you justify keeping anything any of them? Shouldn't they have all been left in the ocean? This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of AA.
Because both of those fish get quite large and require a size of tank that 99% of saltwater keepers can't house them. Those fish are often sold to people who will never be able to properly care for them, and they often die. There are many fish that have specific requirements that aren't able to be met by the average aquarist, yet these fish are commonly imported knowing this. These should be special order fish that are ordered by people who have the means to care for them. There are many reasons why many different fish should be left in the ocean. Check out the "RED List" thread...

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Aquatic Addictions is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thank you for the compliments on the pics

The never ending debate of what should and shouldn't be left in the ocean.
Everyone has their own "opinion". What criteria is used to determine what should and shouldn't be imported? Survival rate? Wild populations? Size? Care level?
Thousands of "easy-to-keep" fish die in this hobby every year due to beginner mistakes, equipment failure, compatibility issues etc.... is it acceptable because they are common in the wild? Because they are cheap? Because they are easy to care for? Because of an equipment failure accident?
We don't justify any loss of any species, but how do you determine what is acceptable casualties of the hobby and what isn't?
We are fortunate enough to have a customer base with experience and tanks large enough who have had success with "harder-to-keep species". These fish are not sold to just anyone with a 55gallon aquarium.
There is always a risk when buying any fish, coral, invert, etc. Even for the most experienced keepers. We are taking these animals from the wild and trying to replicate their natural environment in a glass box after all. A far cry from the ocean where they come from no matter what species we are talking about.

Quote:
Because both of those fish get quite large and require a size of tank that 99% of saltwater keepers can't house them. Those fish are often sold to people who will never be able to properly care for them, and they often die. There are many fish that have specific requirements that aren't able to be met by the average aquarist, yet these fish are commonly imported knowing this. These should be special order fish that are ordered by people who have the means to care for them. There are many reasons why many different fish should be left in the ocean. Check out the "RED List" thread...
I think you are underestimating the amount of people that are actually in this hobby that have larger than "average" size aquariums. You would be surprised by how many people are very invested in this hobby that have a wealth of experience and knowledge but do not frequent forums to share their info.

Last edited by Aquatic Addictions; 03-23-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Don't you just love it when someone tells you how to run your business? You do have a choice of who you sell your products to or who you can ask to leave your store when they show up with these so called lists.

Last edited by Madreefer; 03-23-2009 at 05:28 PM.