Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road
Default Your thoughts after a bad day of reefing

So woke up yesterday morning to my skimmer shut off (thank god for float switch overflow protection) and my return pump shut off. After some trouble shooting seems as though my Eheim 3000 had shorted some how and was smoking hot and actually melting on the inside. No problem throw on my older back up Eheim 3000 and go out for the day. Return in the evening to once again return pump not on and just a buzzing sound. Turns out this pump had died too (both pumps were perfectly clean).

So I throw on my Mag Drive 9 and im back up and running again. However, ive now woken up to some very pale corals. My thoughts are that the 2 inch water drop due to the return pump not running all day and no surface aggitation allowed far more light penetration paling out alot of my acros. Ive ran a Hydra 52 with 4 T5's, the hydra 52 peaks between 90% and 100% (not on all channels).

So now that Ive got the return pump situation fixed Is the best way for these corals to recover just ramp my hydra 52 down to peaks between 50 and 60%? Cant really lower my coral colonies in the tank. Or just leave the light as it was seeing as now it has its usual light penetration with full water height and surface agitation?

Whats the general recovery time for something like this? A month or two? Sad thing my corals were looking the best they ever have.