Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 AM

fido19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Powerhead question

hey guys i took the plunge into saltwater about a year and a half ago and i must say it is a hobby i really enjoy, the forums have been really helpful with a lot of info.
i have one question to ask and that is how do you guys place powerheads, idont have anything fancy yet but i am considering getiing a vortech or a tunze but for the time being is there any way you guys recommend placing powerheads in such a way that i have areas of high flow and low flow.
i am getting my tank aquascaped soon(i know i dont have the artistic ability) is there anything you veterans recommend that i should do in particular

i appreciate any info and this is my first time being in a forum so if i break any rules i apologise
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

First off welcome!

As for powerheads I like multiple smaller ones across the back at differing heights as to not blast one area. This sometimes is not possible so if you have one larger on Id place it further away and across the front of the rocks to get some flow without hammering one area. You just have to play with it till you hit the sweetspot.

As for aquascaping look through the great pics on here and see what you like and work with your rock to replicate it. I like lots of caves and overhangs for the fish to swim through but not everyone is into that.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy this hobby it can be very frustrating and rewarding at the same time!

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 AM

hey thanks for the info, i have one big power head and one small one.
my setup is a 60 gallon for now.
is it advisable to run a tank with one just powerhead(a powerfull one)
i have some lps and sps and have done a lot of research into flow requirements for them but it is frustrating trying to find the sweet spot. are there any brands you would recommend for getting a good powerhead or just go right ahead and get a vortech mp10 or 40
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Tunze all the way!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You're going to get lots of varying answers from users with different tanks and experiences.
There's no hard and fast rule to answer your question with. You could use X powerheads with Y corals, and then have to either move or replace them when you change Y to Z. Plus, if you have a sump, the outlet(s) can come into play as well.
You would do well researching your corals to find out what they require before you spend the big bucks.
So basically, read all the replies you get here, but don't take anything verbatim.

You may get some better responses if you post the dimensions of your tank and what critters you have/want to keep.

Good luck !
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM

hey guys thanks for further feedback
the dimensions of my tank are as follows 50"length,15"width and about 21" inches height
the tank was purchased from craigslist
but any ways is there too much difference between tunze and vortech, i mean i understand the price difference but quality wise which one would be better

also as of now i have the usual hermits,snail(turbo) and crabs, they are about 60 or so in number
i have been thinking a lot about the vortech line and am just worried that it will not perform to my expectations if someone was to give me an honest to god answer as to how they are i will really appreciate that
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind that the first line in my previous response eluded to this;
Both brands are great, both have their failure issues, both are highly adjustable but don't compare to each other, and neither can be compared by anyone unless they have bought both brands new. And even then, both have had failures when new, and both have lasted forever.
So, basically, I was trying to tell you that you will have to eventually make up your own mind, no matter what you hear, and be careful how you take the info you are given. It's not a simple purchase with a simple answer.

I won't tell you all about what I read on the inter-web before I bought mine, but I'll tell you this.
I bought a pair of MP10wES and they flow great, have a vast array of programs to choose from and take up very little space inside the tank. Plus, you are not limited to the # you can use wirelessly ( as far as I know ). This cannot be said for Tunzes ( as far as I know ).
The Vortechs are very directional ( you can't point them wherever you like ), mostly they need to be placed on the left and/or right panes ( unless you have more than 2 ) and are somewhat noisy to the viewer.
On the up side, they place no chance of stray electrical current or heat in the tank, are very easy to clean/maintain, have replacement parts available from many LFSs and keep their resale value very well.

I've never owned Tunzes so I can't give you any opinion on them that would be fair.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM

i have been considering the vortech for a while now, the tunze is not an option for me budget wise and tank wise
but in any case you really point me in the right direction and i will keep your opinion in mind when considering a purchase

thanks for the solid info
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Hmm, I didn't think there was that much of a price difference in 'comparably' sized & featured VorTech or Tunze products. It's tough to make a valid comparison between the two unless you've physically seen or experienced both.

I have VorTechs & they've worked very well for me. As far as placement, have a look at the EcoTech web site, you can download the manuals in Acrobat format & there's some very good info on recommended placement of the pumps for various tank & scape scenarios. I'm sure Tunze manuals are also available online, but that's a guess since I've never tried to download or view any of their manuals since I don't own the product. By reading the instructions for each product, you will have first hand info on each & that should help with your decision. And if you have the opportunity to see either product in action on someone's system, do it. Probably the best way to compare them & see which one you prefer.

Tags
flow, marine, powerhead, reef, saltwater