Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-09-2014, 03:41 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Thar, she blows.

So much cyano, still. Oh well it's probably only about a quarter of what it was in late July.

I bought the materials to enclose the canopy yesterday to get that done. I've settled on LEDs and T5s as my lighting system so I can finally build. I hope it will also afford some cost savings now that the heat from the tank will be fully contained in the fish room.

My little emperor is so big now!

I want to put black backing on my tank I think. Now I just need to find some.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Doesn't cyano suck to deal with in large tanks!!

For the back I used black limo tint from Canadian Tire on the 300 and it worked great.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Default The LAST big upgrade

I have nothing to say on the subject of cyano that will not earn me an insta ban at this point in time. I practice a lot of deep slow breathing when it comes to my tank lately.

My clam really seems to be enjoying the PAR38 bulb I keep over my refugium. It's shunned the MH I had specifically set up for it so much so that I shut it down.

I'll have to make a trip to Canadian Tire and see what's around. Thanks for the tip.

I think I need a second autofeeder, one for each end of the tank. My fish who prefer the side opposing the feeder aren't getting their fair share and when people come to hand feed all you get is a swarm, see above.

Guess the good news is that I can probably offset it's cost with the sale of al the MH equipment I have. Ooh I'm practically salivating at all the extra space I'll have in the fishroom.

And for the record a fish room is the greatest thing I've ever done. Everything is in one room, it stays in one room, and, my favourite, it stays organized and findable.

Last edited by michika; 09-09-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 PM

And the power is out. Been out since just after 5am today. No leaks, no messes and I think everything is accounting for. Now to just wait it out.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

One of my favorite tanks to distract me during my work day. Cyano is tough though...I recently had a bout that i'm still fighting off. Hope the power is back soon for you. My whole home generator was the best insurance i've ever bought. It was cheap in comparison to what I spent on tank build.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 AM

The generator came out but never got turned on. My 1st backup system, battery power heads for oxygenation, worked well, and my second back up, the generator, wasn't really needed. After ~9 hours with no power the tank only dropped 2 degrees. I "covered" the top to keep the heat in for about 4 of those hours.

Everything seems to be business as usual in the tank.

I do need to upgrade my generator though as it's only sized to run the tank; pumps and heaters particularly. Some lights now too since I'm mostly LED now as well. The next step up would be a whole home system.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Take a look at KMS tools for the Whole home system. They have a store in Calgary and they were the cheapest price I ever found.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Ugh. I am so tired of cyano. I just got rid of it early this year, only for it to return late July after a vacation away. It is getting better; I clean the glass less often, I blow off the corals and rocks less frequently. But, I am still tired of its maroon colour and how hard it is to tell apart from some types of coraline.

Today I scraped the glass, I miss when I only did this every 10 days rather than every 3. I blew everything off today with my good old trusty turkey baster too; stringy pieces of cyano everywhere. There was a break for drinks and a pep talk on why I don't quite need to bust out the Red Slime remover yet. The kalkwasser reactor got refilled, and the parameters tested. Now its back to the old reefkeeping standards; time and patience. I just want to stock my tank with SPS.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Ugh. I am so tired of cyano. I just got rid of it early this year, only for it to return late July after a vacation away. It is getting better; I clean the glass less often, I blow off the corals and rocks less frequently. But, I am still tired of its maroon colour and how hard it is to tell apart from some types of coraline.

Today I scraped the glass, I miss when I only did this every 10 days rather than every 3. I blew everything off today with my good old trusty turkey baster too; stringy pieces of cyano everywhere. There was a break for drinks and a pep talk on why I don't quite need to bust out the Red Slime remover yet. The kalkwasser reactor got refilled, and the parameters tested. Now its back to the old reefkeeping standards; time and patience. I just want to stock my tank with SPS.
Hi Catherine

What kind of salt are you using I was using H2O ocean and i started getting cyano. I am now switching and havent had any cyano come back since the switch.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Hey,

I use Instant Ocean. The cyano this time around is definitely nutrient based. While I was on holidays my house sitter added at least an extra 2 cups of pellet foods to the tank over a 14 day period in addition to that one of my yellow tangs died during that same time period which just made things worse. Thanks for the recommendation though.