Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm not sure if it's a trade name but if you ask for spaflex or flex PVC at the counter they will know what you mean. You specify a length, they go back and come back out with it in hand. The fittings and such are just in the aisles but the spaflex and a few other specialty fittings (ie., John Guest and so on) tend to be in the "you have to ask for it" category.

Oh ok, I see that the numbers in the drawing are correct after all, it's just confusing how they labelled them then sort of overlaid the labels so I misread which one was which.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

BTW in this case I say "depth" when I mean the front-to-back dimension, and I use "height" as the bottom-to-top dimension. Depth is a bit confusing since people think of "depth" as the sort of "negative altitude in water" when in the ocean, but with tanks it seems to mean the front-to-back in that you specify dimensions usually in the order of lwh ("length, width, height") so with your tank it's 10'x3'x2' but then you're looking at it from the long side so it gets all confusing like. Anyhow sorry for the tangent.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
BTW in this case I say "depth" when I mean the front-to-back dimension, and I use "height" as the bottom-to-top dimension. Depth is a bit confusing since people think of "depth" as the sort of "negative altitude in water" when in the ocean, but with tanks it seems to mean the front-to-back in that you specify dimensions usually in the order of lwh ("length, width, height") so with your tank it's 10'x3'x2' but then you're looking at it from the long side so it gets all confusing like. Anyhow sorry for the tangent.
How about this; left to right; 10.5 ft, front to back 3ft, top to bottom 2ft aka giant box o' salty water.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
How about this; left to right; 10.5 ft, front to back 3ft, top to bottom 2ft aka giant box o' salty water.

No, not a giant box o' salty water This is 470 gallons of salty awesomeness!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM

I hear that awesomeness can be measured in an equation of pheasent balls per meters cubed.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hear that awesomeness can be measured in an equation of pheasent balls per meters cubed.
I always thought it was squared...hmmm...either way....go faster! ha ha I cant wait to see this build get started
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Hehe We need Brett's input here. He's the resident expert on pheasant ball mathematics.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My dang phaesant balls sprouted wings and flew off. Wife has a birdcage somewhere I think.

Boy oh boy you're getting closer to having glass this must be exciting now! I don't see issues but can you make the overflow wider? Be nice to pull a wider and thinner skim if ya can?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
don't see issues but can you make the overflow wider? Be nice to pull a wider and thinner skim if ya can?

I was thinking the same thing. Catherine how much volume are you going with for the return?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Wider like left to right wider? I certinaly don't see why not.

The overflow was a fantastic idea from Kevin at Red Coral. The shape is to help keep the detritus moving the in proper directions. We went with 2" drains for the amount of flow.

So if I were to make it wider are you thinking double the current width? I think its already about a foot wide, but I think 2ft would be easily possible.

As for return volume, I actually am trying to think of it more along the lines of flow strength; low when we get started, medium as things grow in, and full-out when the tank is fully stocked and full of life. I know we're going to be using two Dart pumps for the return. I never really thought of it was a number as much as I am trying to focus on keeping the water oxygenated, and minimizing my own work in cleaning the detritus.