Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

time to rebuild when that feeling hits,dont necessarily need to upgrade but maybe a teardown and rebuild while trying to fix some issues
im having some issues with aptasia also to the point that im about to rip every rock out and buy a crate of joe's juice, seems like a good time to remove every spec of gsp and xenia while im at it, ive been holding off cause im planning a big upgrade in the near future and would hate to have to do it then move the tank in a few months anyway
Old 05-10-2009, 03:04 PM

zeddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
Well, first off, the Aiptasia I had was not eradicated during the move. It was eradicated well after. I only mention the move to illustrate that hydroids have shown up, on a couple of occasions now, ~ 2 years after I have started up, or set up again, a reef system. Thus, theorizing and suggesting that perhaps 2 years in is when conditions reach a point where it is ideal for hydroids to start showing their ugly heads.

Anyway, ...back to the Aiptasia. Time, patience, Peppermint Shrimp, Kalkwasser, and scrubbing. It took about one year. Probably could have done it in less time, but I was not always diligent due to occasional lack of available time and occasional lack of motivation. I got an army of Peppermint Shrimp. A dozen, or so, for a 180g tank. These guys will eat "small" Aiptasia and will also eat any new "sprouts". Yes, define "small". I'm not sure what small is in reference to this. More important is that they eat the new "sprouts", thus preventing re-growth. The larger Aiptasia, I dealt with by "zapping" them with a Kalkwasser/water mix, by way of a syringe. But not all at once. I had so many of them that "zapping" them all at once would have affected the water chemistry due to the Kalkwasser. This was done over a number of sessions. But I had so many, it was hard to keep up. So finally, at one point, I bit the bullet and removed all my live rock and gave it a good scrubbing. It was after this that things really improved.

To summarize, then....
Army of Peppermint Shrimp for eradicating any new buds.
Kalkwasser for eradicating the larger ones.
Scrub the live rock for eradicating the larger ones.

Interestingly enough...I still have Aiptasia, actually, but it is not much and it is all in places of low light. The overflows and the sump have some Aiptasia. Places I don't care about and actually welcome it, because they act as filter feeders. But none in my display, which indicates to me that the bulk of my PS army is still there and doing their job.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to scrub your live rock during the move, while you have the chance.

And BTW, and FWIW, products like "Joe's Juice" are simply a Kalkwasser/Water mix, IMO. Same thing.

HTH and good luck,
thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

We're building a new house, and had a 230 planned in, but now... we're going to shut down our tanks in the next month or so and not replace them in the new joint. As to why...
1) The "tether" effect. We can only go so far or so long without making arrangements.
2) the green scene. The electricity a reef tank burns is starting to feel wrong, not to mention that all of my fish except my clowns are wild-caught. I'm not buying any new fish lately, but I still feel the pang. One in my tank = how many dead in the ocean or along the way?
3) The constant threat or reality of another crisis of some kind: flood, algae, diatoms, Ca crashes...
4) Plain old fashioned hobby fatigue.

Stay tuned for a couple of "for sale" threads soon!