Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM

4lti7ude is on a distinguished road
Question Identfy Feathery Slug

That is a drawing of the slug.
I couldn't get a picture of it but here are the details.

- Many Rows of Feathers.
- Yellow Base White Tips of Feathers
- Purple/Light Blue Body
- 1" Maybe Longer

Its kinda just hanging in a crevice just poking out when I feed but doesn't leave the crevice. Only comes out when lights have been off for a while.

Last edited by 4lti7ude; 04-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

nudibranch?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Fast mover? Nudibranchs are typically slow movers but bristle type worms can be lightning fast. Maybe the feathers are bristle like hairs?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

If it is a nudibranch you should be able to find it by spending a few hours sifting through the species list on this website. http://www.seaslugforum.net/ ...thats if you really want to know.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the help. My friend came over today and I tried explaining it. Still no real idea what it is, but he says its not bad.

Its very slow moving indeed, so im going to say its a nudibranch.

As for the list of nudibranchs tho...
Thats the biggest list alive hahahaha.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

You could also try doing a google image search for 'nudibranch', you many then be able to find one that looks like yours with a name attached. However even with a proper latin name most sources wont know much about them. In general they live less than one year and the majority of tanks dont have sufficient food for any of them. So they will actually just disapear and die somewhere long before old age gets them.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-22-2010, 06:17 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Keep an eye on it. Nudibranchs are predatory and typically only feed on one or two things, and its usually something expensive. If it's surviving in your tank it's eating something... just firgure out what. Also, they can spawn asexually... so if it is bad you can end up with a lot of them real quick and they'll do some damage.

That being said, enjoy it. They are my favourite sea creatures! Some of the cool looking nudi's are hard to keep alive, so if he's surviving (and not destroying something) take care of him!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Keep an eye on it. Nudibranchs are predatory and typically only feed on one or two things, and its usually something expensive. If it's surviving in your tank it's eating something... just firgure out what. Also, they can spawn asexually... so if it is bad you can end up with a lot of them real quick and they'll do some damage.

That being said, enjoy it. They are my favourite sea creatures! Some of the cool looking nudi's are hard to keep alive, so if he's surviving (and not destroying something) take care of him!

I think my trigger may have gotten to him...
I hadent noticed but the little trigger I have was eating away at my little feather dusters and brittle star fish.
Dunno if he got the nudi...
Im gonna cross my fingers on that.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Hello again.
I recently had to switch my tank to a 20Gallon tall since the 10Gallon was leaking.

A few hours after the lights had been out and all the fish were settled, I saw the nudibranch again!

But I was reading up on nudibranchs lately and im kinda scared it might be a bad one.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2167&aid=3354

"A more recent nudibranch pest that affects SPS coral aquariums has recently become prevalent, and prefers to consume corals of the genus Montipora and Anacropora. These nudibranch are very small, attaining a maximum size only up to half of a centimeter, are pale white to tan in color, and have many branch-like appendages along their back. They are very damaging pests in a reef aquarium that can multiply and consume corals in a very short period of time."

Every time ive seen this I havent had a regular light so I can just see it with the moon light. I dont know the exact color but that sounds like him...

Any idea what I should do?

The only thing in my tank that I think would be eatable are my frogspawn and 2 mushrooms.
They both arnt damaged at all tho...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Like I've said, watch him and try to positively ID him before you give him the boot. If he's relatively harmless, keep him. Else, vote him off the reef. If it does feed on monti and acro and you don't mind letting them get nibbled on a little I'd leave him. Then again, you might want to keep the population under control so they don't get out of hand. It's all up to you. I like nudi's so I try to keep them if I can.

Tags
bristle, calgary, identify, reef, worm