Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 AM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road
Default I have a problem! Please help.

Ok so i have a big problem. I kind of just jumped into saltwater and fish in general so needless to say i did not plan nearly enough if at all. I bought the fluval osaka 260(was going to do fresh but at last minute wanted to do salt) So i went back to the lfs(pet lovers abbotsford) and for my 70 gallon tank he was nice enough to sell me the seaclone 150. So that thing is completely useless.

So here i get to the problem. I am not able to put a sump into this tank, it seems nearly impossible. So i am going to need a lot better hang on skimmer for this tank, ive done a fair bit of reading and it seems that one of the best skimmers for the cost is the Aqua c Remora Pro. I think this thursday im going to drive into jl and buy it. If anyone knows anywhere better please let me know. Also i have a couple fish in the tank and i cannot get the stupid seaclone to do anything at all.

Or if u have any ideas on what i can do it would be greatly appreciated because i really screwed up and went way to quick with such little planning.

I would also be interested in buying a good used hang on skimmer if any of you have one.

Ps im stuck with the tank as well, inless anyone would wanna buy it off me for fresh water!(500).
Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Have you done a search in the clasified section on this site? You may be able to find a skimmer here. Well your right about the Seaclone. If you do get the Aqua Remora take note that it is a little loud. Good luck. I would stay away from any LFS that pushes a Seaclone.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

haha seaclones are junk lol i gave mine away ...good riddance lol
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Default Q

Quite frankly, I would start again.
Sell the tank to a freshwater guy and wait until you get a great deal on a used complete setup.
In the mean time read everything you can and ask questions here.
wetwebmedia.com is an excellent on-line site.The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner in one of the best fish books.

BTW, remove the Seaclone and return it to the LFS for a credit. Be polite but firm.

Last edited by naesco; 05-25-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 AM

I know im not very pleased with the seaclone or getting sold it. Anyways i did look through classified and i could not find any hang on skimmer. Maybe im blind? I dont know i am just quite annoyed.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Sell the tank to a freshwater guy and wait until you get a great deal on a used complete setup.
wetwebmedia.com is an excellent on-line site.
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner in one of the best fish books.
I would love to start over but i also have bought 60 pounds of live rock which is about 300+ and it would go to waste.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
wetwebmedia.com is an excellent on-line site.The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner in one of the best fish books.

BTW, remove the Seaclone and return it to the LFS for a credit. Be polite but firm.
He wont let me return it because it is used. Im very upset about this what a waste of $150
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Ask around people here are always happy to let you know who is worth dealing with in your city.

IF it were me..... i would start all over like suggested. however if i decided to use that tank i would get an external overflow and sump it. I have been looking for a good hang on skimmer for a 50g for 2 years and have tried 3 or 4 now only to be disapointed. finally bought a complete setup from the used section here, and i will never go sumpless again.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:16 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

If they wont take it back you may need to cut your losses and run (away from the store and never go back).

Get a small stock trough or large plastic tub to store the liverock in with a powerhead, heater and your junk skimmer. Then you can take your time figuring out a way to drill your tank for an overflow and sump or buy a new one.

While you're looking here are some more good book recommendations: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php

This was posted earlier today. Remora skimmer for $130. Its probably the smaller version... either way I wouldn't buy another one. Set up a drilled tank with a sump and you will have infinitely more options for skimmers. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=remora

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 AM

Lego is on a distinguished road

why wouldn't you just return it? Or did you use it already?

I used an external over flow for a long time. Worked fine... just do the maintance on it and it will be flawless.