Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM

phar is on a distinguished road
Default Coral Glue

Hi there,
I was just wondering what people recommend for coral glue. I've tried the epoxy that comes in the tube. I don't find it works all that great as it basically just turns into a cement but doesn't really bond to anything.
Recommendations?
Thanks,
Patrick
Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phar View Post
Hi there,
I was just wondering what people recommend for coral glue. I've tried the epoxy that comes in the tube. I don't find it works all that great as it basically just turns into a cement but doesn't really bond to anything.
Recommendations?
Thanks,
Patrick
if its just for frags you can get a gel i know people have said that works great... if its for rock thats really your only option unless you drill it and use zip ties and rods
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

I use the superglue gel from the doller store ( titan brand) its cheap and works great for everything.It sets up nice and fast once its dipped in water.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 AM

phar is on a distinguished road

It's likely for a little bit of both. Rocks and sticking corals to rocks. I'll try super glue. I'm liking the dollar store more and more...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
I use the superglue gel from the doller store ( titan brand) its cheap and works great for everything.It sets up nice and fast once its dipped in water.
+1 but i like the loctite stuff. also tailored aquatics makes a decent glue aswell...
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

Gel Superglue - can skin over when it hits the water

Epoxy putty - not a lot of tackiness for things like softies.

Solution - use both. I found this solution on Reef Central and can say it works 100% of the time. You don't really need frag plugs because you can mount things directly to your rockwork. Works equally well with softies or SPS/LPS.

Dry the end of your coral and put a generous drop of gel superglue - Dollar store Titan brand is a bit more viscous than the name brands.

Roll a ball of epoxy putty and stick it to the glob of superglue.

Add another drop of superglue

The superglue and epoxy bond really well together and if your frag is dry, the superglue will stick to the coral. When you mount the frag, the epoxy will be forced into all the crevices of the rock and will make a very strong bond when dry.