Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 11:28 PM

bloat is on a distinguished road
Default Ecotech Warranty Issues

Well apparently buying a premium product at a premium price doesn't get you great warranty service.

I thought it was just me, but there are several examples online about bad service and warranty denials.

I have bought at least $3500 worth of Ecotech/AI products in the last 2 years.
I must say that when they work properly, their product is awesome....but
If it fails within the warranty period, they can be tough to deal with.

I have had two warranty issues with them, and both were not handled properly in my opinion.

The first was a loud MP40 right out of the box....This was my fourth ecotech powerhead so I know what is normal and what's not.
They did not want to replace it "quite yet"....with the help of my retailer who I CC'd in every email, and with audio videos sent as well, they eventually replaced the dry side. Took a while, but they came good for it after a few weeks of arguing my point.

Then one of my AI Primes went dead...I was advised to send it in to the US for repair as it was 10 months old....they contacted me within a couple weeks and told me that the power supply was to blame and said they would only cover the light not the power supply, but offered to send me a new model light and power supply for discounted fee plus shipping. To me this was unacceptable as its clearly under the warranty period...again with help from the retailer, eventually they did cover both items, but I literally had to get mad on the phone and still had to pay shipping both ways.

So a couple suggestions from my part....

Buy Ecotech/AI products only from major retailers that have clout with the supplier.

CC all parties in all emails with Ecotech so they know others are viewing the
conversations. (Vendor/supplier/and local distributer)

Share your experiences on forums and other reefers.

If I were buying MP pumps, I would consider buying used at a discounted price, with the expectation of having to buy a new wetside, dryside or controller when one of them breaks down...and eventually they will.... lol.

Will I buy ecotech products again...probably...but maybe not....will have to see.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

At the end of the day the products warranty is only as good as the retailer you purchase the equipment from.

I had several issues with multiple different products (Maxspect, tunze) and it has been dealt with quickly by my local retailer here in Vancouver. I am not sure how they dealt with it, they might have taken it for a loss, but new replacements were provided on the spot. I remember once the guy at J@L just tossed the bad maxspect power unit in the garbage after testing it.

Large companies are generally not set up to deal or interested in dealing with individual customers.

Years ago when I worked in the retail business we just treated warranties for products we sold as the cost of doing business. But our customers were important.

Last edited by Frogger; 01-17-2020 at 01:53 AM.