Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road
Default Live Rock in Edmonton

I am starting up a new FOWLR tank and am need of some fresh live rock. I haven't bought any new stuff for years but I've gone to a couple of shops around town and have thus far been disappointed. All the LR I've seen just looks like wet marco rock, little or no coralline and no signs of life anywhere (except bubble algae). Has anyone recently had any good luck finding some good LR in any of the Edmonton stores? Does the stuff at JL Aquatics look as good in person as in the pictures? May just have to order from them if they are worth it. Thx
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

Bump!

I hear ya man. It's just diatom covered brown crud :/ I swear you can get more coraline on a frag plug than the live rock here.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Bump!

I hear ya man. It's just diatom covered brown crud :/ I swear you can get more coraline on a frag plug than the live rock here.
That's what it's looking like. I'll have to call around and see when someone has a new shipment coming in to see if it looks any better.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 PM

EdsonFOWLR is on a distinguished road

Marine aquaria, aquarium illusions, and The marine experience were my best sources for live rock from the stores in Edmonton and not bad pricing. Also look on kijiji and the forums on here. Also buy/sell groups on facebook are also good. When I started my tank (122 gallon fowler) I got 56 pounds of rock from the three stores and then traded a Ipod surround system that I won but didn't have a use for to a person on the local facebook buy/sell that was taking their tank down for 80lbs of rock and a flame angle, and tomoni tang.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

I haven't been to marine Experience but will say Marine Aquaria was the best I've seen. Keep in mind by 'best' I mean a spot or two of coralline... I hate to say it but Aquarium Illusions is pretty pathetic for their Live Rock selection. it's basically just brown diatoms/algae and a handful of Aiptasia

For my build, I simply decided to go with dry, as quality live rock just can't be found here anyways.

intarsiabox, I would try online personally if going the live rock route, but maybe see if the vendor can send you an actual photo of what they have available before pulling the trigger
Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM

EdsonFOWLR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I haven't been to marine Experience but will say Marine Aquaria was the best I've seen. Keep in mind by 'best' I mean a spot or two of coralline... I hate to say it but Aquarium Illusions is pretty pathetic for their Live Rock selection. it's basically just brown diatoms/algae and a handful of Aiptasia

For my build, I simply decided to go with dry, as quality live rock just can't be found here anyways.

intarsiabox, I would try online personally if going the live rock route, but maybe see if the vendor can send you an actual photo of what they have available before pulling the trigger
The 80lbs I got off the person on facebook was quite good, really mature 10 year old tonga branch with lots of coralline but also some aptasia but my filefish made short work of them so its ok.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsonFOWLR View Post
Marine aquaria, aquarium illusions, and The marine experience were my best sources for live rock from the stores in Edmonton and not bad pricing. Also look on kijiji and the forums on here. Also buy/sell groups on facebook are also good. When I started my tank (122 gallon fowler) I got 56 pounds of rock from the three stores and then traded a Ipod surround system that I won but didn't have a use for to a person on the local facebook buy/sell that was taking their tank down for 80lbs of rock and a flame angle, and tomoni tang.
Thanks for posting but I know all the stores that sell live rock, just wondering if anyone recently has seen any of the stores with any good live rock. I've been to most already without success. I just need a few good pieces to seed the rest of my rock and my experience with people selling their used rock for cheap is for very good reason. I haven't tried Marine Experience as Neal hasn't said anything about it on here for quite sometime, I figured he closed up. I'll contact him and see what he has to say.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

michael151722 is on a distinguished road

did u try ecoliverock.org