Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Also you can pick up used radion Gen 1s for around 300-350/unit I think these days. I've got 8 of those on my tank and they've done me right, you can check out the last few pages of my build thread if you want to see what 18 months of them will do.

There's lots of options, options that expand drastically if you're willing to shop around for second hand merch.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

What do you have right now for lighting? Depending on your coral choices you may not need to change anything... Good water parameters can go a long ways.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 AM

Dube1474 is on a distinguished road

Right now I have a 48 inch 250w metal halide with 2 T5s and led moonlights.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube1474 View Post
Right now I have a 48 inch 250w metal halide with 2 T5s and led moonlights.
So why do you want to change? I'd keep that setup.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM

I wouldn't change a thing...
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Dube1474 is on a distinguished road

I was told by a couple people that LEDs were the way to go. Because they last longer and are more efficient. But I also have been reading lots comparing the 2. Just wanted to get opinions on what LEDs to use if I was to switch so I could read all the reviews. Read that with LEDs your heaters will run way more. Basically making no savings in the power bill. Is that true. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

With my LEDs, my heater comes on occasionally at night (early in the morning, actually), but on and off for at most 3 hours. But the much bigger cost is the chiller. During the summer, of course, no heater, but the chiller still runs quite a few hours in the afternoon/evening.

I had T5s before I went LEDs, and didn't even use a heater (not even in the winter). But the chiller had to run at lot, even during the winter. So, no question, LEDs had a huge net saving in heater/chiller costs for me.

I should mention, though, I have enclosed covered tanks, so they do trap more heat. And because I have SPS, have quite a few in-tank pumps which also produce some heat.

But the bigger power savings are actually the wattage used by LEDs vs T5s (and even more with MH). No comparison there.

And then there are the pure capital costs over 5 years. LEDs cost more up front, but you save on annual bulb replacement costs. The break even depends on which LEDs you buy, of course, but with my Radions (not cheap), it is about 5 years for me.

So, I really can't see how anybody can say LEDs cost more because of heater, or other costs.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 PM

My power bill went down since switching to T5. Then again, the tank is in the basement and I have central AC. My heaters (2x300w) were on frequently with LED, they almost never turn on now. My lights set my tank at 27C during the day and it drops to 26C at night.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube1474 View Post
Read that with LEDs your heaters will run way more. Basically making no savings in the power bill. Is that true.
I did some measurements before and posted results here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95643

But please note the corrections posted here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...4&postcount=33
Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Well to some on here LEDs do not save money, are not worth the money and basically in short form just junk.
I've had them for 2 years last Sept. It was a huge learning curve and well, it took me 2 years to finally get the colors I wanted out of my corals. With MHs and T5 combo I had I fought with overheating my tank in the summer months. I no longer plug my heaters in until Dec and turn them off in March. But I also have a basement sump with display a floor above. Some corals do great and some not so well. They grow pretty much anything, it's usually colors that people talk about with that. I'm quite happy with my choice to switch over and I chose low end cheap AIs. That's my experience with them and some on here have had the opposite of mine. Only thing I can suggest to you is to do your research and make your choices off of those that have actually tried LEDs long term.