Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road
Default New flame angel not eating

I picked up a flame angel a week ago today and I have yet to see it eat. I got a purple firefish at the same time and it has been eating after the second day. Is this normal for flame angels?

I have tried mysis, pellets, spirulina with brine shrimp and seaweed strips. Doesn't seem to be interested in any of it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to eat?
Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Was he eating at the pet store before you purchased him. I always ask the store to feed the fish or watch to see if it is picking at the algae or the rocks in the tank.

Try newly hatched brine shrimp.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Was he eating at the pet store before you purchased him. I always ask the store to feed the fish or watch to see if it is picking at the algae or the rocks in the tank.

I didn't see it eat before buying it. I will ask them to feed them before I buy another fish. Good advice. It was picking at the rocks when it was at j&l.

Last night when I fed the fish it went after some pellets a little bit so maybe it will just take some more time.... I hope.

I will try the brine shrimp. Where's the best place to get them?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:29 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorgon View Post
I will try the brine shrimp. Where's the best place to get them?
These you need to hatch yourself. I've done it before and it's not worth the trouble as I've never had a large hatching amount, and all the other fish will eat them first, in my experience.
They don't keep, and you need to continue hatching more.
I gave up
Old 10-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Ideally when you purchase a new fish you quarantine them for at least 4 weeks. It is during this time that you provide a range of foods for the fish to eat without the competition of other fish eating all the food before the new fish has even realized what happened. New wild caught fish often do not even recognize the food we feed as food.

A quarantine tank really does not have to be much, a ten gallon tank with a sponge filter will do.

You only need to set it up when you get a new fish you can run the sponge filter in the sump of your main tank when you are not quarantining new fish.

You may get away without quarantining your fish but it is like playing Russian Roulette you won't get away with it forever and once you have lost over a thousand dollars worth of fish because you didn't quarantine you will quickly understand its importance.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I've given Llorgon a brief through text to let him know just how important QT is.
He's working on setting up his 10g and I'll walk him through it.

Just to prove how valuable it is, I lost most of my fish 1-1/2 years ago when Brooklynella got past my QT.
Just 3 weeks ago I bought 3 flashers that I unfortunately didn't get into copper fast enough ... lost them all to Brook.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Ideally when you purchase a new fish you quarantine them for at least 4 weeks. It is during this time that you provide a range of foods for the fish to eat without the competition of other fish eating all the food before the new fish has even realized what happened. New wild caught fish often do not even recognize the food we feed as food.

A quarantine tank really does not have to be much, a ten gallon tank with a sponge filter will do.

You only need to set it up when you get a new fish you can run the sponge filter in the sump of your main tank when you are not quarantining new fish.

You may get away without quarantining your fish but it is like playing Russian Roulette you won't get away with it forever and once you have lost over a thousand dollars worth of fish because you didn't quarantine you will quickly understand its importance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I've given Llorgon a brief through text to let him know just how important QT is.
He's working on setting up his 10g and I'll walk him through it.

Just to prove how valuable it is, I lost most of my fish 1-1/2 years ago when Brooklynella got past my QT.
Just 3 weeks ago I bought 3 flashers that I unfortunately didn't get into copper fast enough ... lost them all to Brook.

Working on getting the QT setup. Probably have it done this weekend.

Should I then move the flame angel to the QT or leave it in the display?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Only if he is not eating do you need to move him to the quarantine. It is too late to move him to the quarantine to protect the other fish because whatever he has if anything is already in the tank.

You cannot ever treat the main tank with copper or any other medication.