Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
unless your experience is in a 15 gallon or under system, your experience doesn't really tell us anything other than the product works as described in a tank of adequate size...

this happened to my friend after gluing only 1 coral, nowhere near in danger of using a half a stick...

looks like the thread starter only used enough to glue one frag as well with this effect.
My tank is actually closer to 18-19G based on a volume calculator, I've just been to lazy to change my Tank Journal title from 23G... I epoxied 4 pieces of SPS this past week using the same product. prolly close to 1/8 of a stick (of each stick).. I got a VERY SLIGHT "cloud" when it orignally dipped into the tank, but disappeared just as quick. All I am running for filtration is a HOB with LR Rubble, Filter Floss, and a small filter bag of carbon.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

I used about a less than quarter of the stick to try and get a hammer coral to stay in place. My reef experince is id say is about 8of10 ive had a 7gal and a 55gal in the past... Ive used this product before, i did notice the water got cloudy the first time ive used it but it cleared in 2 hours or so.So when i used it a second time i thought nothing of it. Thats until the cloudyness didn't go away after 3 hours prior.

I dont cosider myself a newbie But ive never has a disaster of this magnetude before, where all the fish in the tank are huging the side due to lack of oxgen. Also im running a barebottom setup with high flow.

Also for water changes thats a good idea ill try 2 changes instead of one big one.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I've used the aquascape on larger aquariums without any effect. By kneading the 2 part epoxy into one consistence color you should avoid the bits and pieces that falls to the bottom. Some cloudiness do ocurr but it seems like the corals are not bother by it. Mixing the 2 part for a short time, it gets soft and always easier to mount the coral. Regards Ken
Okay canreefers, we have definitely established that this stuff works well when you use it in a larger tank....

anyone have anything relevant to weigh in here with???
Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
My tank is actually closer to 18-19G based on a volume calculator, I've just been to lazy to change my Tank Journal title from 23G... I epoxied 4 pieces of SPS this past week using the same product. prolly close to 1/8 of a stick (of each stick).. I got a VERY SLIGHT "cloud" when it orignally dipped into the tank, but disappeared just as quick. All I am running for filtration is a HOB with LR Rubble, Filter Floss, and a small filter bag of carbon.
so bigger than either of the tanks affected then.

I cannot speak for this thread starter, but I know that in the incident that was in my experience, the epoxy was used minimally and to the letter of the instructions.

I know that those of you who have used this product succesffully are going to assume the product was misused but I can assure this was not the case in at least one of these instances.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

Hey im not saying dont use this product im sharing my experince... ive had with my nano... I also wanted to see if anyone has had a simlar sitution happen to them. (in which it has) and in what ways how to fix it.. or if its fixable.

-like will i have to replace my rock because this crap has leeched into the rock?
- Or will my fish Die from suffication and water pollution.

Is there any other step i can do to help the sitution. Because personally i wont be using this product again.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Just an opinion here, but I wouldn't use this at all, in any tank, if it clouded the water.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

I had used this stuff in my 10gal nano about a year ago, and although it did cloud the water for about 1hr I never lost anything at all. I probably used 10% of the sticks. Not a huge fan of this product thou as you get alot of residue and floaties in the water. Had to use my fish net to get try and catch the larger particles floating around.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Just an opinion here, but I wouldn't use this at all, in any tank, if it clouded the water.
sorry aquattro...
are you saying the kind of epoxy that you linked to does not ever cloud your water?

I stayed away from that kind of epoxy simply because it was the cheapest and I am the first to admit that is a terrible reason to discredit something....

but if it doesn't cloud the water as the mixable kinds are apt to, it would seem safer to me....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

Did you guys microwave the epoxy first. I noticed that when I did that, the epoxy hardened a lot faster with little clouding. I used 2 sticks on 34gals.

Yes, I know we are talking about size limitations, but you only used a tiny bit for mounting a coral, I used TWO boxes for a system volume of 34 gals .. so I think I can safely compare our experiences.

This was using the D&D aquascape product.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
sorry aquattro...
are you saying the kind of epoxy that you linked to does not ever cloud your water?

Right. I have used large amounts of this stuff, and nothing comes off, other than making your fingers smell a bit. It just mixes into a putty, you wrap it around the base of a frag, and stuff it in a hole.