Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road
Default Marilyn the jawfish

What a journey with this fish! I added her on Father's Day, into a little cave right up front that I thought would perfect for a jawfish. She didn't move for a couple of days, then disappeared under a rock in the very back. After a week or two of no activity, I saw her motionless tail through a crack and my curiosity got the best of me and I tapped the rock. No reaction so I thought she was dead. (No sign of her eating anything at this point) Decided to get her body out, so I lifted up ALL the rocks only to have her shoot away under a rock on the opposite end of the tank. I was happy because she made a burrow where I could glimpse a shadow of her but that only lasted a couple of days and she disappeared again. One night I finally saw her again when she for some reason kept bobbing and jumping at the waterline. If not for the top, she would have jumped out. I decided to just let her be, and was disappointed that I had added a fish I would never see and likely not survive.

And now, a few days ago, she re-emerged in the very cave I had first put her into, acting like it's her home and accepting frozen food like it's no big deal at all! What. After more than 2 months, I think she's finally decided she's fine with it (Of course, now she's going to disappear again tomorrow) Moral of the story as always in this hobby, patience is usually rewarded.

She has the loveliest face. I named her for Marilyn Monroe in her white dress.

Last edited by Dash; 08-27-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

New fishies are lookin' awesome !! Both recent and throughout the pages.
Lots of people advocate for QT, but just as many feel QT kills fish.

So, questions for you Maggie...

Where have you bought all of your fish?
Have you ever lost any new or residents due to directly adding them to your display?
Do you freshwater dip or perform any other treatment/procedure before adding them to your display?
Have you ever noticed anything on or from the new fish?

Thanks,
Greg

PS: do you run a UV?

Last edited by gregzz4; 08-29-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:55 AM

Hi Greg,
No, I do not QT. No UV. I feel there is always a risk within our hobby and my approach is I try to mitigate the risks and get them into a good environment asap. First I research all I can about the fish’s needs. I check it out as best I can before purchase, do another visual at home, acclimate for about 15 mins, lower the lights, offer a prayer to the sea gods, and add into a quiet corner.

All my fish are from JL except for my green spotted puffers (freshwater LFS on Kingsway) and one clown from a Canreefer.

I have never lost a fish to disease. Two jumped (long-nose hawk and one of my original puffer pair, which broke my heart) and a lawnmower blenny and pair of pipefish wouldn’t eat. My first tailspot blenny passed away after 2 years, but he was quite large when I bought him and I’m not sure what their life span is.

I’ve lost a couple of turbo snails & hermits but otherwise most of my CUC are from when I started 3 1/2 years ago.

I did feel a bit nervous adding my only tang, a yellow. Gary is fat and healthy and not obnoxious although he is pushy at feeding time.

I feed what I think is a good diet. Main food is my homemade seafood mash, with nori, few kinds of pellets, kelp pellets also thrown in. I’m a believer in feeding well to build up their immunity. I think it also contributes to a peaceful tank.

So yeah, I feel I’ve been lucky so far. I’m thankful.

Last edited by Dash; 08-29-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

First off I have to say this

I am right there with you Maggie I have never QT a fish mostly due to lack of space in my time in the hobby I’ve lost maybe 3 fish in acclimation mostly due to stress I’ve never had a disease nor have I followed recommended acclimation procedures. Like you I understand the risks and accept them

Now that being said you have an awesome looking tank with some great looking coral and fish keep it up.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
First off I have to say this

I am right there with you Maggie I have never QT a fish mostly due to lack of space in my time in the hobby I’ve lost maybe 3 fish in acclimation mostly due to stress I’ve never had a disease nor have I followed recommended acclimation procedures. Like you I understand the risks and accept them

Now that being said you have an awesome looking tank with some great looking coral and fish keep it up.
Thanks! This hobby has been a so much fun
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 PM

I saw an ad for a small tank & couldn't resist spending the $30. It's about 25 gal. I had the intention of doing a freshwater planted but then...I thought what about a SW temperate tank instead, hmmm. I have some reservations but I think I'll enjoy the challenge. After cleaning it out, I put in some water & a rock from the DT. Also a xenia to test the waters. It's a little sad but bravely pulsing away. I plan to add some sand & a bit more rock. Need a hang on skimmer, new powerhead & a light if anyone is selling

Meanwhile, I've been trying to improve my camera skills with stuff in the DT. I'm lucky if I can focus but it's fun.

Hellfire milli has been a fast grower for me:

Some coral are starting to resent their neighbours:

Orange Passion starting to colour up more:

Po checking out a patch of algae that I can't seem to get rid of:

I was told this was a type of tuxedo - should've listened to my inner voice. So of course he grew huge in 3 days. Luckily he is well-behaved and is content to carry around something I give him.

Love my rockflower - such a gentleman!

These two are more tolerant of each other's company:

Space Invader feeling hungry:

My latest acquisition: a strawberry coral. Hope it will do well, fingers crossed. I mounted it upside down and so far it seems happy.

Marilyn the jawfish is doing well. She is always out when the lights are on, and the other day I saw her shoo away the puffer! Here's a little video clip of her:

Last edited by Dash; 11-26-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 PM

sorry double post

Last edited by Dash; 11-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:00 AM

target is on a distinguished road

You're tank looks really good. I just read through your whole thread. Can't wait for my new ta k to be running
Old 11-27-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
You're tank looks really good. I just read through your whole thread. Can't wait for my new ta k to be running
Thanks Daniel. Can’t believe you slogged through the whole thing Look forward to your build thread.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:29 AM

Default 2nd Year Anniversary

Another new year means it's the anniversary for the current DT, and since I seem to like starting new things at the beginning of the year, I also got a nano tank off the ground
Everything is going well. However, due to increased feeding, tank has hair algae for the first time, patches here and there. I'm considering trying out Vibrant in a very conservative treatment, but I'm a bit chicken so I'm procrastinating as usual.

Main tank marks 2nd anniversary. How time flies...

First thing to greet me when I come home through the mud room door

This is one of my favourite things right now - a Japanese toadstool. It's super bright in whatever light and has great movement. Can't wait for the polyps to grow even longer.

So now that I'm an old hand at this () it was easy enough to throw together the little tank. It measures 31 x 12 x 16. Throw in some old tank water, sand, rock, bing bang boom - instant tank! Add some soft coral & snails, nothing dies, great, add fish. I moved over my original clown pair that I bought at JL Boxing Day sale 4 years old when I started the hobby. They had been in the sump for a year because the new clown pair, who get to live in the main DT because they like to be hosted by the nem, tried to murder them. I mean she was charging at them with a machete.

A new couple: Popeye and Olive (tangaroa goby & candy cane pistol). I encouraged them to bond in the sump before the new tank was ready.2

Didn't buy any fish this Boxing Day, just shrimp, which is exciting as I've never had these before due to the puffers in the main DT.

Winston the Wolf:

Sexy trio!

I am on the lookout for interesting macroalgae and soft corals for the new tank, especially gorgonians and anything unusual, so please if you have something, let me know!

Wishing everyone a happy 2020