Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM

REDNECK_REEFER is on a distinguished road
Question Jaguar Babies

Hey I have just had my jaguars lay eggs and i was wondering if you guys think I should pull the eggs out now or wait till they hatch? This is my plan:

I'm gonna either wait or pull them now and then im gonna suck 10 g of water out of the main tank and put it into an unfiltered 10g tank then i was thinking of using just an air stone for some circulation in there

what do you guys think?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 PM

BigA is on a distinguished road

I would wait a bit longer. Jag's have fairly good parental care and will protect and raise the fry for at least 6-8 weeks. I'd say you have that long before you have to do anything. Unless you see the parents being unusually agressive to the fry. That would mean it's time to go.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

Ive raised jaguar fry for a long while . I would get 500 - 700 fry at a go. Wait till they hatch and wait till they get to be about half the size of an erasure on a pencil and then get them out before they are eaten. I fed the fry ground up high protein flake with 3 times a week small bloodworms when they were a little bigger. You will lose 1/2 of the fry teaching them to eat.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:56 AM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

I used to have these guys as well and they always raised their babies well, I would try to leave them with the parents as stated above for about 6 weeks or so. When you move them probably use an Aqua clear or something, I used to cut a piece of the sponge for the AQ and slip it over the intake so that the babies don't get sucked up. the babies will also grow at different rates and usually end up eating each other too, sucks but that's the way it goes. An unfiltered tank with that many fry in it would just be a mess.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 PM

OK so I was watching the fry hatch and I noticed that the mother was taking care of them properly. The male on the other hand was swallowing up those fry like no tomorrow. So i took all of them out and set a a 10g for them with a penguin biowheel and a large sponge over the intake. How long will it take them to be eating offered foods? I know they can live off of the egg sacks for awhile but how long until I should give them some food?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 AM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

usually they feed of the egg sac for about 3 days or so, they will look like a blob of jello at the bottom of the tank for a bit, once the egg sac is gone they will be free swimming and you can give them really fine flake food, or liquid food until they start getting big enough for frozen food. You can sometimes loose as much as half of the fry within the 1st week or so, I've heard that it's due to them not getting the mucus from the parents skin but don't know how true that is. You will still be able to raise quite a few of them to a decent size to sell or give away.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the iinput guys, that is pretty mutch what I was gonna do anyways but it's always good to be sure. Any suggestions on what food to feed them? I've got the standard size frozen boodworms and also some regular flake food I was thinking of grinding both of them up and feeding them together. Will this be a well balanced diet for them? or will i have to give 'em something else?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

ive fed different cichlids cyclopyee's right from the first day and they ate it like crazy, also frozen baby brine worked well without the hastle of hatching them