Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Newfoundland

Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

when was the last time you were back mike??

home feb 11th for me new tank journal coming up now soon enough i think hummmm i wonder how big i could go before she sinks lol??
Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM

hippo! is on a distinguished road

might notice a few changes lol
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo! View Post
might notice a few changes lol
Like there is never anything in the bloody grocery store because it's so picking busy !
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM

hippo! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernseacorals View Post
Like there is never anything in the bloody grocery store because it's so picking busy !
gotta come in past the overpass to get a good selection of grub lol
Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM

strickrick is on a distinguished road

Nice to see the involvement. I only know a few that are really into the SW side of aquariums.

I'm born and raised and still living on the rock. Just curious to see what kinda setups the locals have here. I'm down to a 10g with a pair of clowns, my 75g cycling full of LR for when I get my 120x30x30 (~465g) and my 125g (sump to be). I will have to start a thread of its growth once I finally get the tank.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
R.I.P.

finally home on the rock so starting a 60g 24" custom cube brought all my glass with me from edmonton and brought my liverock as well glad to say it all made it down fine

so i did my rounds on the fishstores here and i gotta say.......well im not sure what to say but i do know that im setting up a pile of frag tanks and ordering in a pile of coral......i dont like the high prices and the lack of availibilitiy.

i have plans in motion to set up a home based business selling coral and coral only im gonna try to bring in rare corals and corals not found normally here and im not going to be charging an arm and a leg and my ultimate goal is for things to be accessible and affordable as it should be......lets face it finger leathers shouldnt be sold for $60-80 and an open brain shouldnt run you over a $100.........alot of people know me from edmonton and most know me as a deal finder and a place for free great advice and i strongly dislike those who sell for way more then they should or see people as dollar signs.

i wont be opening your typical store front there will be no dry goods no excess of empty tanks no liverock bins no fish.......its a hobby and a passion for me first and with all the years ive been reefing ive learned that friends are your best customers and that a good name gets passed around very fast.

i cant compete with large retailers for buckets of salt i cant compete against lighting or other things bought by bulk and sold for less.

im gonna sell what i know and thats corals so to cut down cost ill be opening my house to others ill have a display set up and some small frag tanks , im gonna treat it as my home tanks everything will be healthy and looked after all day and night. i have someone to buy nice corals from reguraly and ill fill my display and frag tanks with these corals. ill be placing orders as often as i can and the idea is to sell something from my tank and replace it with something else. if something doesnt sell right away then i keep it healthy while it grows untill it does sell. after so many years in this wonderfull hobby ive learned what sells and what doesnt.

i have a plan written up and in the process right now of building it all and once running im gonna treat it like my own tanks, after all this is my passion and my hobby first and not a overnight money maker.

i plan to offer aquarium maintanance and to build custom tanks and stands as well as bring in coral that we all want not just what sells at the local big chains

my overall goal is to make things here more affordable easier to find, to have the salty community more together and make it easy for new comers to join the hobby without being rich.im going to be offering free advice even if it means me coming out to your house to give it ill be offering tank maintenance and building custom tanks and building stands of all kinds and designs.

long term would eventually see me starting up bigger tanks although i believe i am always just gonna offer coral for a good price and mainly offer advice and knowlege and friendly gestures to those who can use it.

its great to be home and in a place i truely love doing what i truely love, i hope to bring alot of new people into the reefing world and make alot of new friends.............and as we all know you cant go anywhere in this hobby by yourself it takes friends,knowlege,and sometimes a helping hand to truely enjoy and uderstand this beautiful hobby

cheers all hope to talk to alot of you soon!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

That all sounds awesome and totally necessary in this market. Like you said, the availability and price are two glaring problems in the local market here (check out Pets Unlimited for some sticker shock! I'm not kidding guys, try $169 for a marine comet or $139 for a small rock covered with zoanthids. Plain...... brown...... polyps.) You're doing something I've been wanting to do for years, just never had the discipline to get to it. I truly wish you the best of luck, we all will be better off for it - and I'll be speding some time at your place for sure!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
That all sounds awesome and totally necessary in this market. Like you said, the availability and price are two glaring problems in the local market here (check out Pets Unlimited for some sticker shock! I'm not kidding guys, try $169 for a marine comet or $139 for a small rock covered with zoanthids. Plain...... brown...... polyps.) You're doing something I've been wanting to do for years, just never had the discipline to get to it. I truly wish you the best of luck, we all will be better off for it - and I'll be speding some time at your place for sure!

yeah i was sad when i went to see what we have and i know there are quite a few reefers here on the island so why should we pay 10x more then anyone else well i wont stand for it and im gonna do what i can to change it.....at tmp i asked a few questions and got very poor responces and no one answered my emails and at pets unlimited i was just speechless.......we really need a saltwater dedicated store that wants to see all the saltys have all the advatages that those in other cities do

im here to help and i think thats my calling i have known this for a while now and though it may be slow going if we all work together we can come up with something great for everyone.in this hobby were like family and thats a great start.

the major problem i see here is it seems like the stores that are here are purely out to make a business and not improve the situation....i guess they see no need to improve if they are doing well with what they have going on....

ill be funding most of this my self right down to begging for pennies if i have to but im talking with some people who are interested in investing in my project and the hobby will take off here it just needs some motivated people with their hearts in the right spot. i believe that person is me everyone i talk to about it hears the passion i have for this and using the resources i have i want to change it.

i strongly believe communication is lacking here as we dont even know how many are here doing this hobby so over the next few weeks im gonna be spreading the canreef word down here and getting other reefers i know here to join up and with time and communication i can have something set up in the way of a friendly place to come hang out talk about marine life and ask questions.my home will be your home and if the suppliers in this province dont want to join in with us to make it better then they will see a drop in sales and lose customers......while we will gain friends and knowlege like nothing else

def alot of passion here and thats the best start i can think of all my motives are honest ones and in the end i hope to meet alot of new friends and family and start something where even the newest hobbyst can come in and feel comfortable knowing they got the best service and hospitality hands down

if it doesnt then i end up doing what i love anyways raising coral and making friends cheers and hope to meet you all soon
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
R.I.P.

what are we doing here in the way of a reefers meet???

if there is something running pls let me know when your meeting next so i can meet you all if theres not then well lets get this thin rolling and ill make up flyers and pin them up everywhere i can think of and start calling the reefers i do know here cheers guys this all has me very excited and in a way were all already friends