Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Sorry but I disagree, Theses are macro through a bow front.

I have more photos of angle shot going down the length of the bow and they turned out. The quality of glass ? What make of tank?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

It will depend on the angle of the glass vs. the angle of the lens. Try to keep the plane of the film/ccd as parallel to the glass as possible to minimize distortion.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

ok, i tried all angle and could not minimize distortion. Anyway, I am picking up this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16830112033 so i can film it too :-) and take micro shot. Will see how it goes
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.d. View Post

I have more photos of angle shot going down the length of the bow and they turned out. The quality of glass ? What make of tank?
Do you use special lens?
________
Montana Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Disagree with what?? You can still take macros through curved glass but the results simply won't be as good. The effect is probably worse with SLR cameras due to the larger lenses they use.

Also your macros are good and I would even say excellent considering the camera you used but there is clear evidence of distortion which gets worse the further away from the center. You'll see this effect even with a larger DOF and is a result of the curved glass.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Just curious but couldn't a warped image be shaped flat with some good post processing? It's just geometry right?
When I was doing my Master's thesis work, we videoed salmon using an underwater camera with a bowed lense. It took a special program to digitally "un-bow" the images or to flatten them out so another program would allow us to use the computer mouse to help size the fish without physicall handling them. I don't think that such a program is commercially available but for someone who was reallllllllly determined to do this, it may be possible. You would have to capture images of a grid with known spacing, then click the mouse on each intersection of the lines. Then through trial and error in programming the right algorythm, you could try to find one that spreads out the image until the grid is again flattened digitally. Simple, no?

I think the lining up the camera lense to the plane of the glass is by far the better method than trying to digitally flatten the image using geometry or computer programming
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
When I was doing my Master's thesis work, we videoed salmon using an underwater camera with a bowed lense. It took a special program to digitally "un-bow" the images or to flatten them out so another program would allow us to use the computer mouse to help size the fish without physicall handling them. I don't think that such a program is commercially available but for someone who was reallllllllly determined to do this, it may be possible. You would have to capture images of a grid with known spacing, then click the mouse on each intersection of the lines. Then through trial and error in programming the right algorythm, you could try to find one that spreads out the image until the grid is again flattened digitally. Simple, no?

I think the lining up the camera lense to the plane of the glass is by far the better method than trying to digitally flatten the image using geometry or computer programming
It's actually much more complicated than that and still not possible to correct for the distortion resulting from a bow front.

All camera lenses are actually curved, especially fish eye lenses which are often added with another glass lens to many underwater housings for cameras. This allows for a wider viewing angle and more light intake. The difference though relates to how these lenses are curved and sized.

A simple curved lens will create distortion and blurring effects, often called aberrations, which get worse as you move closer to the edge. The difference is camera lens curvature, including those placed externally on housings or wide angle additions, is not constant but rather aspheric which vary like the shape of a parabola. This combined with setting the proper distance between elements and the lens size, type and radius reduces the effect of aberrations. What you are still left with is simple lens distortion which is easily fixed with various programs including photoshop.

Bow front tanks have constant curvature and a radius or shape which isn't designed for photography in anyway so even if you figured out the correct distance you wouldn't be able to eliminate the major aberrations which cause the blurring effects.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-27-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Also, the further the subject is away from the glass the more distortion. The curved glass and water will distort the image unless you position your lens as close to the subject as possible. Have the corals almost touch the glass and you will find that there is less distortion.

Having said that, the lighting will be different as well if your lights aren't fully covering the front part of the tank.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Only way is to go top down or through the side. You have to have the lens perfectly perpendicular to the glass to get a good clear macro. Unfortunately with curved glass this is impossible,
This is what I disagree with. "Impossible" I guess the level of quality in photographs is in the eye of the beholder. I thought these were good pics through curved glass. But I guess you are talking about professional quality photos through curved glass. Which I would now nothing about. I figure a 400$ camera can take a decent photo through curved glass than an expensive camera shouldn't be a problem. We were talking macro through curved glass right?
The camera is a olympus 1030sw point and shoot. no special lens. It take what I think are good macro shots.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
This is what I disagree with. "Impossible" I guess the level of quality in photographs is in the eye of the beholder. I thought these were good pics through curved glass. But I guess you are talking about professional quality photos through curved glass. Which I would now nothing about. I figure a 400$ camera can take a decent photo through curved glass than an expensive camera shouldn't be a problem. We were talking macro through curved glass right?
The camera is a olympus 1030sw point and shoot. no special lens. It take what I think are good macro shots.
I was only saying it's impossible to line up a lens perpendicular to a curved surface which is a true statement. Of course you can still physically take the picture but you will get distortion and blurring effects which you can't correct for no matter what camera you use. You don't need to be a professional to eliminate these aberrations you just need straight glass

Last edited by sphelps; 11-15-2009 at 05:06 PM.