Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone an engineer? Tank placement question (townhouse)

I live in a townhouse and have a question regarding tank placement on the second floor. Hopefully I can explain this without a drawing.

Tank is 72" x 24" x 18" tall (water level is more like 16.5"). Sump holds about 35-40 gallons so that puts the tank at around 150 G total.

The place is open concept so the second floor is basically a large rectangle (roughly 40' x 20')and the floor joists are parallel to the 40' wall. Underneath the side of the room that will have the tank is the garage and about 11' into the length of the garage there is a beam running across the 20' width which I think is made from 4 - 2x10's. Then roughly another 10' is the interior garage wall which I believe to be load bearing. So the floor joists are supported by a beam and a load bearing wall.

I hope that makes sense.

I want to put the tank across as many beams as possible but I can't put it on one of the outside load bearing walls because they are all windows. The best spot is against a partition wall which is directly over the beam in the garage. So the tank would be near that beam and over about 4 floor joists. I am wondering if this is a good idea?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I live in a townhouse and have a question regarding tank placement on the second floor. Hopefully I can explain this without a drawing.

Tank is 72" x 24" x 18" tall (water level is more like 16.5"). Sump holds about 35-40 gallons so that puts the tank at around 150 G total.

The place is open concept so the second floor is basically a large rectangle (roughly 40' x 20')and the floor joists are parallel to the 40' wall. Underneath the side of the room that will have the tank is the garage and about 11' into the length of the garage there is a beam running across the 20' width which I think is made from 4 - 2x10's. Then roughly another 10' is the interior garage wall which I believe to be load bearing. So the floor joists are supported by a beam and a load bearing wall.

I hope that makes sense.

I want to put the tank across as many beams as possible but I can't put it on one of the outside load bearing walls because they are all windows. The best spot is against a partition wall which is directly over the beam in the garage. So the tank would be near that beam and over about 4 floor joists. I am wondering if this is a good idea?
150g of sw is 1020lbs, plus say 600lbs to be generous for rock, weight of tank sump stand and equipment....

so total of ballpark 1600lbs

average weight of an adult male in canada is roughly 177lbs

would you trust the floor to hold 9 people standing in rectangle the size of your tanks foot print?

personally would, id even let them bounce up and down a bit and still be comfortable with the weight (not the sausage fest of bouncing men)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

You can ask Deven about this, but it's also required to have a safety factor over and above the rated capacity. Honestly insurance wise it's going to require an engineer to give the okay, else you're playing the odds.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, both make sense.

I would have no concerns with the weight on my floor IF I could put the tank against one of the load bearing walls and perpendicular to the floor joists.

I can put it perpendicular to the joists but the best spot I have is above the beam I mentioned in my first post. This beam spans roughly 20' and is made up of 4 - 2x10's (I think, it's drywalled). The tank wouldn't be directly over the beam as there is a partition wall directly over it but it would be in front of this wall. I guess it's worth mentioning that the tank would also be close to where this beam ties into a load bearing wall.

If I could use a floor jack underneath I would but my garage is below.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

A single 2x10 can support up to 1200lbs
Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM

originalozzyo is on a distinguished road

I lived in a wood frame apartment for 3 years on the fourth (top) floor and had 155 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump in my living room. This was concrete 1" skim coat over plywood floor and standard spacing 2x10 joists, maybe 8-12" spacing using a stud finder. BCAA insurance said no problem even after I asked them multiple times about a tank this size. I think you will be fine, I was nervous for months until I just accepted it and even forgot about it
Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
150g of sw is 1020lbs, plus say 600lbs to be generous for rock, weight of tank sump stand and equipment....

so total of ballpark 1600lbs

average weight of an adult male in canada is roughly 177lbs

would you trust the floor to hold 9 people standing in rectangle the size of your tanks foot print?

personally would, id even let them bounce up and down a bit and still be comfortable with the weight (not the sausage fest of bouncing men)
there is your answer there easy

fill it up
Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalozzyo View Post
I lived in a wood frame apartment for 3 years on the fourth (top) floor and had 155 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump in my living room. This was concrete 1" skim coat over plywood floor and standard spacing 2x10 joists, maybe 8-12" spacing using a stud finder. BCAA insurance said no problem even after I asked them multiple times about a tank this size. I think you will be fine, I was nervous for months until I just accepted it and even forgot about it
I had a 180 in an old wood frame apartment. Before I even really considered the weight to be an issue. I didn't even try and figure out the floor joist direction. Had it set up for 5 years with no issues, never thought about it until someone mentioned the weight once...I still didn't really think much of it...but this was like 10 years ago. I think with age I got paranoid hahaha.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
there is your answer there easy

fill it up
Yessir! It's already full
Old 04-01-2020, 03:06 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Yessir! It's already full
did you bounce up and down where its sitting first?