Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-11-2015, 07:04 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I've never noticed the tank being any sparklier after using it. Peroxide Loooooooves organics, but theres ALOT of organic material in a tank, probably so much that to noticeably decrease it in the water column for more than a few minutes you'd need to be dosing enough peroxide to kill all your fish and corals. There's also a lot of complex organisms with cells filled with peroxidase whose sole purpose in life is to instantaneously break it down in to water and oxygen on contact.

What it does do at relatively low concentrations is inhibit the photosystems in cyanobacteria - Something about the structures they use to photosynthesize being particularly sensitive to reactive oxygen coupled with poor metabolic pathways to eliminate it, likely related to the fact that cyanobacteria evolved when the atmosphere had very little oxygen in it or something. There's lots of cyanobacteria in tanks all the time, just not necessarily in the nasty biofilm form that people post about when it gets out of control. If there is low levels of cyanobacteria in the tank staining the water or causing rocks and sand to have a darker colour or stick together, dosing peroxide might cause a noticeable change in the visual 'cleanliness' of the tank - but that's a wild guess based on a totally unsupported assumption.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Where did you get yours Don?
Somewhere in the UK. Not sure if they are avail in North America? Can get them online from the UK.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Rick ,what is your overall impression of it's effectiveness?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Rick ,what is your overall impression of it's effectiveness?
I use mostly 3% and the water is clearer when I use it less film on inside glass. Also helps with cyno.
I have used stronger % when fighting algae and saw some positive results (black spine urchins work just as good)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Did a couple of small test rocks, took them out, scrubbed off whatever algae I could with a dish brush and then sprayed 3% H2O2 on it, rinsed it off after a few minutes with RODI. Looks a lot better already but we'll see if it really gets it.

I also torched the tiny aiptasia living on the rock that I had been lazy about dealing with.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
Did a couple of small test rocks, took them out, scrubbed off whatever algae I could with a dish brush and then sprayed 3% H2O2 on it, rinsed it off after a few minutes with RODI. Looks a lot better already but we'll see if it really gets it.

I also torched the tiny aiptasia living on the rock that I had been lazy about dealing with.
fwiw , algae doesn't die instantly with h202 , it dies within 24-48hrs afterwards

for dipping a 4:1 tank water to peroxide ratio is more than enough to kill algaes
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I know target basting works, more wondering what dosing it full time does.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I dosed peroxide for a while.. Do/should monitor orp. Never had negative affects but might say water was clearer.

I talked to dez a couple months ago.. He quit dosing his dt.
If I remember correctly it was good but he just didn't feel like doing it any more
Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Have heard Dietmar (Hillegom) and others talking about peroxide for some time, so decided to give it a try. Keep getting algae on my frag plug bases on the rack, where the tangs can't get at it very well.

So got some 3% at the drug store and mixed it 4:1 in a small container and dipped a frag just up to the base (not the whole frag) for 10 minutes. Just over a day later, the algae all turned white and the frag is none the worse for wear.

Will do a few more the next few days. If this works, sure beats trying to clean algae off the plugs every few weeks (or at least that's when I should).

Am not ready to try H202 in the whole tank, as am concerned about maybe killing too much other good algae (the kind that live inside corals).
Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default H202

Because I've had such good success with peroxide killing aptaisia/red turf algae/ and these bad ass bugs I'm going to start dosing my 36g. Gonna research the amounts I should be using, but I'm going to start with a drop or two. I'll keep my results posted.