Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

IYWMO,
I would leave the trim on as it serves some purpose.
It helps to prevent the exposure of sharp edges and also to protect the glass if a canopy or light hood is placed on top of the tank.
As well, I'm sure that tank mfg's wouldn't spend the extra time and $ to install these things if they weren't needed.

Oh and Seth, You should NEVER lift a tank by the top of the glass even when empty, as this causes added stress to the silicone and glass.
It's a safe practise to always lift the tank from the bottom while trying to keep the tank level

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 12-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Seth is on a distinguished road

Hehe Okay, luckily I didn't have time to remove the brace today yet.
Maybe I'll just keep it on. I dont want water to be soaking down 13 floors of apartment : )

thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:09 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpfinfishe
Oh and Seth, You should NEVER lift a tank by the top of the glass even when empty, as this causes added stress to the silicone and glass.
doh I lift all my smaller tanks (the ones I can lift myself) by the top of the side

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If you did the physics on the force applied to the sides of the tank, you'd see that a wimpy little piece of plastic is certainly not holding your tank together. My tank has about 1500 pounds of water in it and uses bracing with snap together corners on the bracing. I can pull these apart by hand, so I'm willing to bet they don't hold my tank together.
The purpose it serves is to make the tank look "finished" and remove the need to polish the edges of the glass. Tank manufacturers put it on to make the tank pretty, and that increases sales.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:04 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Hagen does make frameless/seamless tanks and they seem to add a "strengthening bar" whatever that is.

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01034260010101

I thought I also read that frameless tanks use thicker glass. On that website, they seem to supply glass thickness specs for frameless tanks but not the framed ones. I'm not sure why.

Other tanks:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...&PSUBCAT=10301
Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 PM

Found some specs on frameless tank glass thickness. Not sure if frameless in this sense is in relation to the old-style metal frame or not.

http://www.nationalglass.com.au/products/11/11_09.html
Old 12-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw
I thought I also read that frameless tanks use thicker glass.
Sam, I can't see why that would be required. The plastic doesn't hold the tank together. Now if it has a built in plastic cross brace, removing that would require thicker glass.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:36 PM

eposer is on a distinguished road

One of the major reasons for trim on tanks with no center brace is to prevent breakage during transport. The edges of glass are chipped very easily and the tank can be cracked from even a small impact on the top or botton edges. As far as the trims structural purposes there isn't much. If you look at many less expensive tanks the trim is not even joined at the corners but is instead made of four seperate pieces adding no strength whatsoever.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
If you did the physics on the force applied to the sides of the tank, you'd see that a wimpy little piece of plastic is certainly not holding your tank together. My tank has about 1500 pounds of water in it and uses bracing with snap together corners on the bracing. I can pull these apart by hand, so I'm willing to bet they don't hold my tank together.
The purpose it serves is to make the tank look "finished" and remove the need to polish the edges of the glass. Tank manufacturers put it on to make the tank pretty, and that increases sales.

I wasn't suggesting there is 1500lbs being exerted on the rim though as the silicone has taken up most of that. Its probably a lot lot less being exerted on the rim. I just thought the rim could help with some minor reinforcement.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 PM

Acro is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but Hagen is marketing a braceless tank now. I seen one at Hidden Reef. I'm not sure if they used thicker glass compared to a braced tank of the same size. I will say it looked sweet with polished and beveled edges.