Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Wow, I'm gone for 2 weeks and this is what I come back to? You know it's bad when the work pileup to sift through after a two week vacation is a tiny fraction of the Canreef pileup to sift through.

I'm going to throw my two bits in here. Until I'm paid a salary to sort through this stuff, I opt for a system that requires less intervention from me. At this point I'm tempted to support the notion that vendor reviews once again be removed from this site. I really see little to no benefit for the headaches and heartaches that this causes. Canreef exists to share information related to the hobby and in particular the husbandry of captive reef specimens. The emphasis being on information, not trade or business. Canreef is not a surrogate for ebay or other buy/sell type boards. The bandwidth that is required for this site is staggering - thus the costs to keep the board running reflect that - thus we enlisted the aid of vendors to sponsor the site to be able to keep it as a free resource for all. We thank vendors for their support because without them there will be no Canreef as it exists right now. As with all things, caveat emptor. We are not the better business bureau, we are not ebay, we are not reefcentral. We are Canreef and we strive to provide a unique stamp onto the hobby in this country.
I never understand why mods complain about how they don't get paid and how much time they volunteer... exactly you don't do it because you have to. You do it because you want to. You volunteer. You made that choice and all of this is just part of the job description.

In the same breath I'm not saying it's easy, and I'm not saying you should all just quit because obviously we need you as much as you need us but I'm just saying we all make the beds we sleep in.

Canreef does have buy/sell forums which does kinda put you in the ebay category > buyer and seller meeting ground. And wherever that happens problems arise.. again for whatever reason Canreef choose to have those types of forums and this all kinda goes with the territory.

Being "Canreef" and not ebay or reefcentral does not mean there is nothing that can be learned from these other successful sites, which is why they have been mentioned, not to bash Canreef but to make it better and like this thread has established no one is ever 100% including Canreef and the sucky part is it takes work to get things great which is what we are ALL doing in this thread... working to make Canreef better

Last edited by superduperwesman; 08-18-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

This ought to be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
Snipped!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM

Underwater is on a distinguished road
Default Geez

There go the chairs again....everyone duck!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Aw...I missed the "interesting" part!!! Dangit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
The bandwidth that is required for this site is staggering - thus the costs to keep the board running reflect that - thus we enlisted the aid of vendors to sponsor the site to be able to keep it as a free resource for all. We thank vendors for their support because without them there will be no Canreef as it exists right now.
I see both sides to the story, although I tend to agree with this A LOT.

You can find out how reputable a vendor is just by asking a simple question: "Can you guys recommend a good vendor for ______ in my area.online/etc please?" Simple. Done. You can bet you will receive a PM or two about vendors to avoid as well.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Again just offering what others have done to help find the best solution for everyone:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5968

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=16
Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
You made that choice and all of this is just part of the job description.
That's crap. We do this to enjoy the hobby, not as full time jobs, and our "job description" will be what we decide it is, not what anyone else thinks it should be. IMO, Canreef was just fine last week without this, and I vote we go back to it. At this point, it's that, or it stays the way it is and we'll review it in the fall. This has gone on enough.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Agreed

Quote:
IMO, Canreef was just fine last week without this, and I vote we go back to it.
Despite posting suggestions on this thread to try to help, I also think it was fine before all this. Just my .02
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

superduperwesman has a mere 64 posts, but succeeds in ****ing off the mods fully.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
superduperwesman has a mere 64 posts, but succeeds in ****ing off the mods fully.
And I was just thinking I never welcomed him to the board
Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That's crap. We do this to enjoy the hobby, not as full time jobs, and our "job description" will be what we decide it is, not what anyone else thinks it should be. IMO, Canreef was just fine last week without this, and I vote we go back to it. At this point, it's that, or it stays the way it is and we'll review it in the fall. This has gone on enough.
With great power comes great responsibility

Like I said... it's not and easy job

But I honestly think everyone is just trying to make things better and sometimes you gotta go through the crap to get to the other side and right now thats what we're all doing

If Canreef was "just fine last week" this never would have started