Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road
Default My 2 year old 65g hex reef..

This is my tank...it's 2 years old now. I have a Remora Pro skimmer, Coralife Aqualight Pro (150w), 85lbs live rock, 2 inch sand bed, mostly softies and a couple of LPS....front view, left side and right side

Old 10-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Cool tank. I really like it, looks great.

I assume you're running sumpless since it looks like the powerhead is servicing a skimmer with the tube going out of the water like that.

What else do you do for flow in there?

I spy two clowns, a chromis, and a mandarin ... who else lives in there?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:58 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Very nice, how tall is that tank?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Very nice. I love the aquascaping. You've got a lot of nice caves in there that would be perfect for a sun coral. Nice work!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:23 AM

I actually do have a sump...the centre column is the overflow with some of the rock leaned against and giving stability to the rock work at the front.....I have 3 powerheads, unfortunately, as it is tough with the tank being 30.5" high. 2 are for water movement one on the surface as I like a lot of surface agitation and then I have a 2nd for moving water to the bottom of the tank...the 3d (which is the ugly tube that you see) is for the Phosban reactor. I would love to hide it in the sump but have no room. We are trying to rework that now. We had a custom sump built but it takes up a lot of stand room and I have the Remora hidden in there now. I hate being able to see powerheads and tubes and stuff...but you get used to it.

Livestock; pair of false perc's, Kole Tang (don't tell the Tang Police as the tank is not long enough being only 24" ) Male Madarin, Yellow Watchman Goby, 3 Chromis, 1 Bi-Color Blenny, 2 Firefish, Yellow Clown Goby, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Coral Banded Shrimp, 1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin, 1 UGLY cucumber, emerald crab, clean up crew and corals.

I did have a sun coral but found with all the large feedings they require that my water quality was a concern. We are going to add a Scribbled Rabbitfish to the tank for some algae control...we have a nasty red "crunchy" (for lack of a better word) algae that we are hoping it may have a taste for...we really enjoy our Golden Spotted Rabbit who resides in our 120g that is a great algae fiend but is WAY too large for this tank so went with a smaller variety purchased in a smaller size! If it's size becomes a concern we'll move it to another tank.

Thanks for the compliments...if I were to start over, I wouldn't jump at doing this tank as it is so limiting with it being so high and short...but it looks good, fits where it is and we learned a lot from it the hard way!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

These tanks are so cool for aquascaping. I think if I were to setup another tank it would be one of these. Looks like you've got some great stuff in there too

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What is the yellow coral above the chromis and kole (I think it's the kole, it's more of a blur??) in the 2nd pic? In the first pic there's an ocellaris in it. Is that some kind of gorgonian? Can you post a closeup of it (I have a thing for gorgs ..)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:42 AM

Yep its a gorg! I love them too! I have 2 and would love to add some of the harder to keep red and yellow...but "key words" harder to keep make my decision easy! I will check all my pics and see if I have any decent ones of the two.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Nice hex. I had a 35g hex as my reef tank for a couple of years & loved it. In fact, I've had people tell me that was the fav. of all my tanks & why did I not set it up again when we moved. Oh well, good to see someone else carrying on the hex-reef tradition. It's harder to aquascape, but well worth it in the end IMO.

Anthony
Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Looks very good after 2 years, since when you first started heh! Patience and years and tears for something to develope into a very rewarding hobby. Glad you stuck with it. Congrats Regards Ken