Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Alright. More giant picture time!

Tank is doing well minus hair algae. It's always hair algae! Someone help me get rid of the hair algae.

All the fish are doing well and always hungry.

Corals seem to be doing well. I had one coral that I thought was dead make a comeback which I am happy about. Seeing some new growth on my acans, Duncan, hammer and frogspawn. I sold my Kenya tree as it was dropping branches everywhere and taking over the tank. Now I have room for more corals!

I have got my nitrate and phosphate under control. They both read 0 on my last test. I don't think it's true 0 as algae is still growing. I would like to have a bit of nitrate and phosphate so I guess the vodka dosing is still a bit of a balancing act to find what's right for the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Anyone have any tips on getting these corals going?

The first two I got in early Feb and I haven't been seeing any growth.

The acan I have had for a year now and it just won't grow. The other 2 acans I have are growing perfectly fine. But this guy always looks unhappy.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:53 AM

How's everyone enjoying their quarantine? Not a whole lot is different for me. I already worked from home. Except now I don't go to the gym after work. Or able to do anything on the weekends.... My wife wasn't taking the whole no gym thing well so she bought a Bowflex for the garage. I must say it's very different from dumbbells.

Anyways back to the tank. Things are pretty stable right now. I seem to have my nutrients under control. With dosing 0.55ml vodka a day nitrate is at 1.5ppm and phosphate at 0.009ppm. I wouldn't mind getting nitrates to be 5 ppm, but I will leave it as is for now since everything looks happy.

Unfortunately I'm still getting gha on the rocks. Winning in some spots and losing in others. I have been picking it out by hand and using a stiff brush on the rocks as well. But it's hard to get into all those little crevices.

Still trying to find some more cuc, but it's been difficult due to things shutting down. I can order from Ontario, but they are getting hit hard with the virus so I would rather not have things shipped across country.

Fish are all doing well. Never much to report with them.

Corals doing well. I moved my cyphastrea do a higher light and flow part of the tank, but it got knocked down by a snail and burned the favia a bit. Moved it back to a safer spot after that and the favia has recovered surprisingly quickly. I've also started feeding the corals with lps pellets every Friday.

I've moved my water changes to once ever other week. Doing weekly was raising my alk and Cal a bunch. All was at 10.2 and Cal at 500. After 2 weeks they are down to 9.6 and 480. So at least thing are growing!

What does everyone use for calcium testing? I have salifert test kit which I find to be kind of annoying. I also have Hanna calcium test kit which I can never get consistent results.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Been awhile since I updated on the tank. Tank is doing ok, going through a bit of a rough patch I think.

Fish are doing well and eating as always. The larger clown has started to host in the frogspawn which is cool to watch.

Corals are ok. My frogspawn has 2 heads that aren't looking great, but the rest of it is big and seems fine. My duncan coral has been closed up since Sunday afternoon about an hour after I did a 10 gal water change on the tank.

Acans are doing well including the one that was always a little deflated. It is now big and has feeding tentacles out!

The cyphastrea isn't doing great, but the one near it seems to be growing fine.

Still battling gha. I think I have got my nutrients under control using vodka dosing.

I tested my water last night, 2 days after my last water change.

Tank Params are
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.5
Phosphate: 0.018
Alkalinity: 9.5
Calcium: 435
Magnesium: 1470

I added some calcium last night and will test again today to see where calcium is at.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:54 PM

And some giant pictures!

Anyone have any idea what is in picture 4? It's the underside of the frogspawn. It has a bunch of white almost stringy stuff on it.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Hi Llorgon, hard to see from the pictures but some kind of sponge?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Probably some sort of filter feeder I would guess. It doesn't seem to be bothering anything at the moment.

I will see if I can get a better picture of it.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Have you tried a Mexican Turbo for the GHA? I'm not sure if J&L has any at the moment, give them a call.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Have you tried a Mexican Turbo for the GHA? I'm not sure if J&L has any at the moment, give them a call.
I haven't been able to get more clean up crew since the pandemic started. I'm in Kelowna, so need to ship since not much available locally. And most places aren't shipping livestock right now.

And a better shot of the weird white stuff on the bottom of my frogspawn.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:24 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

I would say it's a sponge. The tube with opening is called an operculum. Some of the sponges in my tank are really growing. If they get in the way, I just pull them off. But I find they are no match for any corals - they just stay in the shady spots or under the coral.