Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > The Reef Network

View Poll Results: GVRD Summer Get Together Format
Swap meet (bring and sell your own crap flea market style) 29 74.36%
Silent auction (written bids on displayed items) 1 2.56%
Full blown auctioneer auction (Going once! Going twice!) 1 2.56%
Combo of swap meet for gear and silent auction for frags 3 7.69%
Combo of swap meet for gear and full scale auction for frags 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 AM

JakartaOrBust is on a distinguished road
Default auction

Sundays are good for me.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Looks like the swap meet format has the lead so far - or is it just Jason voting over and over again to avoid auctioning duties?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Oh Sorry I wasn't supposed to do that? LOL

No I can't do that

J
Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM

JakartaOrBust is on a distinguished road
Default swap meet

After experiencing one of each of these style trade events, I have to say the swap meet was by far the best.

First thing I preferred was that what ever I was paying for, I got to physically see the pieces ahead of time. As impressive as mother colonies pictures are, I like seeing what it is I am taking home.

I also liked the fact that whoever the seller was was generally standing right there, so you could ask all the questions on the spot, as well as I had more interesting conversations with people standing at a table, than I might have sitting staring at a screen calling out bids.

I liked that time wise you could much easier come and go as you pleased while still coming out with a lot. The first come first serve seemed bad at first as I remember as soon as the hour hit and the trade began some of the stuff I eyed were gone in a heartbeat. But people were leaving with frags, while more sellers were showing up. So their was opportunity for great stuff throughout the day.

The other nice part to the swap meet, is The Reef Network really only has to setup a venue, the date, and some odds. The sellers are responsible for their own setups and their own sales, take downs, etc. Making a lot less work it seems as a whole. Untamed's table was awesome still incorporating his pictures of mother colonies, you just pointed at the one you liked he turned around opened a cooler turned back and it was in your hands.

I will be there no matter what style , but I have to put my vote for the Swap.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakartaOrBust View Post
After experiencing one of each of these style trade events, I have to say the swap meet was by far the best.

First thing I preferred was that what ever I was paying for, I got to physically see the pieces ahead of time. As impressive as mother colonies pictures are, I like seeing what it is I am taking home.

I also liked the fact that whoever the seller was was generally standing right there, so you could ask all the questions on the spot, as well as I had more interesting conversations with people standing at a table, than I might have sitting staring at a screen calling out bids.

I liked that time wise you could much easier come and go as you pleased while still coming out with a lot. The first come first serve seemed bad at first as I remember as soon as the hour hit and the trade began some of the stuff I eyed were gone in a heartbeat. But people were leaving with frags, while more sellers were showing up. So their was opportunity for great stuff throughout the day.

The other nice part to the swap meet, is The Reef Network really only has to setup a venue, the date, and some odds. The sellers are responsible for their own setups and their own sales, take downs, etc. Making a lot less work it seems as a whole. Untamed's table was awesome still incorporating his pictures of mother colonies, you just pointed at the one you liked he turned around opened a cooler turned back and it was in your hands.

I will be there no matter what style , but I have to put my vote for the Swap.
Thanks for the important feedback. We'll try to take any information/opinions provided into account for future events.

Despite its drawbacks and the way the voting's going I still believe that an auction format (whether silent or Jason McK-powered) still has its place on occasion.

Keep it coming!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

I am in for sure.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

I was at both the auction and swap meet. While I really enjoyed the auction, it took about 5 hours to go through all the frags. I also liked the swap because you can pick up hardware, ect as well.

Either way, I'll be there!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Getting down to your last chance to vote on the when and how of the event!