Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2016, 02:23 PM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road
Default Overflow debate

I'm building a new 220G, just unsure of what kind of overflow to go with as I find that there's pro's/cons's to both internal/external. I'm leaning towards external as I don't want to take an extra 20"x6" of space inside of the aquarium.

The 100G sump will be located in the basement, I found an overflow called the synergy overflow which attaches to the glass on either side using bulkheads with external acrylic box which I think is better than siliconing a glass external overflow(will be a lot heavier and cause more stress IMO).

http://synergyreef.com/product/20-sy...reef-overflow/

Thoughts?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:15 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

I almost went with Synergy but Concept showed me their new external overflow design and I liked it better. When I pick up my new tank I'll take pics to show you why. Sorry to be vague but a pic is worth a thousand words right?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:32 AM

Is the tank already built? If it is then I would definitely go with the Synergy. Very clean design. You will have to make your own holes though.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:45 AM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

Eshopps also has a ghost overflow now, I have one it's decent, especially given the price. $165 Canadian.

Also Synergy has a injection molded poly-carbonate version coming out, or is out, I don't know. Probably pricey but looks cool. Bulkheads are molded in, 1.5" slip fittings I believe.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:51 AM

That's cool! Did you get a template with the Eshopps for the holes? Maybe the Op can chime in?
Old 11-26-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
I almost went with Synergy but Concept showed me their new external overflow design and I liked it better. When I pick up my new tank I'll take pics to show you why. Sorry to be vague but a pic is worth a thousand words right?
Is it made of glass? I am hesitant on the glass as it will be a fixed to the aquarium which will make it another 6" for width which will be pretty tight to get inside doors, and also the weight factor causing stress on the glass. With the synergy style you can install once in place which is perfect.

Pics would be great, lol.

Quote:
Is the tank already built? If it is then I would definitely go with the Synergy. Very clean design. You will have to make your own holes though.
Not built yet, need to make a decision by next week on what overflows I want as he would rather drill the holes first before putting it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeAl View Post
Eshopps also has a ghost overflow now, I have one it's decent, especially given the price. $165 Canadian.

Also Synergy has a injection molded poly-carbonate version coming out, or is out, I don't know. Probably pricey but looks cool. Bulkheads are molded in, 1.5" slip fittings I believe.
The Eshopps one is only built for aquariums up to 150G.

Last edited by GQsmooth; 11-26-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:23 AM

I understand your builder wanting to do the holes first. Makes perfect sense. My tank will be a good 9 inches from the wall.. maybe the Synergy is a better option for you if that is a determining factor? Yes my tank is glass. It will have to be rotated on the front side to get it through the front door.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I understand your builder wanting to do the holes first. Makes perfect sense. My tank will be a good 9 inches from the wall.. maybe the Synergy is a better option for you if that is a determining factor? Yes my tank is glass. It will have to be rotated on the front side to get it through the front door.
So glass overflow as well? I assume you put it in the center? I'll wait for your pics
Old 11-26-2016, 01:54 AM

Yep. Glass. I'm picking up the tank and sump this weekend. I'll put some pics up in my thread so I can stop derailing yours.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 AM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's cool! Did you get a template with the Eshopps for the holes? Maybe the Op can chime in?
Yes it came with a template.

It may or may not come with a drill bit too, it originally did when it very first came out in the spring, but now I think the drill bit comes with their ball-valve package, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post

The Eshopps one is only built for aquariums up to 150G.
Opps.

Anyhow check out the injection molded synergy, it does 1500GPH, not sure if that is enough. (1.5" slip) Preorder is $150 US
http://synergyreef.com/product/16-shadow-overflow/