Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Yah no problem they should hve came in your MP box if you bought it new. You would want to secure it on op and having a rimless I wouldn't want to stick that thing on my tank I would make something nice to go On to the top edge.

If you don't mind the stickin part HD carries zip as for the clips HD might have them or try LFS? I hve a few here that I can trade you for your stand.. Haha
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You can get the adhesive-backed cable tie anchors at electrical supply outlets, or Rona and Home Depot etc

As for your air intake issue in the sump, I don't think it's your bubble trap
It looks like your pump is moving a massive amount of water and you need to either;
A - Put a valve after the pump and slow it down some or;
B - Raise the water level in the return section more ( maybe not ideal depending on your power out level )

What model is that Iwaki pump ? I can't make it out
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
Hey,

Yah no problem they should hve came in your MP box if you bought it new. You would want to secure it on op and having a rimless I wouldn't want to stick that thing on my tank I would make something nice to go On to the top edge.

If you don't mind the stickin part HD carries zip as for the clips HD might have them or try LFS? I hve a few here that I can trade you for your stand.. Haha
I don't understand what you mean by securing on top. Do you mean I should rotate the dry end so the wire is sticking up vertically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
You can get the adhesive-backed cable tie anchors at electrical supply outlets, or Rona and Home Depot etc

As for your air intake issue in the sump, I don't think it's your bubble trap
It looks like your pump is moving a massive amount of water and you need to either;
A - Put a valve after the pump and slow it down some or;
B - Raise the water level in the return section more ( maybe not ideal depending on your power out level )

What model is that Iwaki pump ? I can't make it out
Thanks Greg! I'll have to take a visit to HD or Rona to try and find those wire anchors.

I'm concerned about damaging the pump if I close the valve on the return line to slow down the pump's output.

I've raised the water level a little but as well as I've added a 90 on the bulkhead which has significantly reduced the amount of bubbles in the display but there is still that burst that gets in there every minute or so which is just frustrating me!

I'll try to play with the flow today and see how that affects the bubble situation. I think part of the problem is the amount of water thats draining in my sump which causes a lot of bubbles too and they don't have a long enough travel distance before the return to disappear themselves.

btw, its an Iwaki RT30.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhasan View Post
I don't understand what you mean by securing on top. Do you mean I should rotate the dry end so the wire is sticking up vertically?
Yup, he means having the wire verticle
Here's mine
I've left the ties just loose enough to pull the wire back and forth, and enough gap to use my magfloat

With your return pump, you could easily put a Tee after the pump with a gate valve ( don't use a ball valve, they're irritating to fine tune )
Run the outlet from the valve back to your return chamber
Voila, no back-pressure
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM

thanks for your tip Greg!

I already had a T with a ball valve that was supposed to feed my fuge but it wasn't operational in the beginning. After your tip, I played around with the ball valve and it worked wonders. I have NO micro bubbles in the display

I haven't been able to make a trip to the hardware store yet to find the wire ties, however, I made my way down to J&L today and picked up some LR and sand. Rock is already in... gonna do water change tomorrow and rescape the tank and use the putty I picked up today to secure them!

I'm hoping to have some critters in the tank by the end of the week. SO EXCITED!!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Awesome, I am sorry I didn't answer your question more clear and able
To pop back and re address. Thanks for the quick bail out Greg.

Keep updating I'm followin along.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 AM
On Hiatus

Glad I could help and that it worked for ya
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Smile We're Cycling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
Awesome, I am sorry I didn't answer your question more clear and able
To pop back and re address. Thanks for the quick bail out Greg.

Keep updating I'm followin along.
No worries at all! We're all help each other to the best of our capability and have some fun while sharing ideas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Glad I could help and that it worked for ya
Its much appreciated! If it weren't for you guys, I would've taken my sump apart and redone it and probably would've still been stuck with the same issue.

Anyways, I think its time to get some more pics going!

So I hit up J&L last weekend and picked up some more LR and live sand to properly seed my tank.

So tonight, I got around to finalizing my rockscape and putting in the sand.

Water is very cloudy but I tried my best to not stir it as much. I'm hoping it'll clear up by tomorrow evening! I plan to add some critters on Friday!!

I think the pictures will tell you the rest of the story!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Going to get some livestock today.

Hi All, a little update on the progress.

The cloudy water is almost gone but not quite. I didn't have my skimmer on thinking all the sand particles might cause damage to it... but now I have it on and it was a pain to tweek it but now I think I have it at the right setting after cups of salt water going down the drain!

Did a water test last night here are the results if you're interested:

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
PH - 8.0
KH - 11
SG - 1.024

QUESTION:

I'm wondering how to get rid of all that sand in my drain section.. should I siphon it out or let the skimmer do its thing and eventually it'll be gone?

Here are some pics and a vid.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Goatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhasan View Post
Hi All, a little update on the progress.

The cloudy water is almost gone but not quite. I didn't have my skimmer on thinking all the sand particles might cause damage to it... but now I have it on and it was a pain to tweek it but now I think I have it at the right setting after cups of salt water going down the drain!

Did a water test last night here are the results if you're interested:

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
PH - 8.0
KH - 11
SG - 1.024

QUESTION:

I'm wondering how to get rid of all that sand in my drain section.. should I siphon it out or let the skimmer do its thing and eventually it'll be gone?

Here are some pics and a vid.

The glue, as well as the "ruffles" label will come off and contaminate your water....even if slightly.