Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
May the Force be with you!
I don't think he's into Star Trek..
Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Every animal "takes" something. I think you need to get over this (or not, it's up to you). How many of us would have a job if someone didn't need to "take" something.

People who "took" something from the Mariculture industry provided jobs to an impoverished area and added value to the reefs. Try a few Google searches to see whats going on.

Same goes for rock, sand or whatever... as long as it is done in an environmentally sustainable way. There's no way for me to know if this is the case, since I buy most things through several middle men, but again adding value to the reefs will encourage local governments to make good conservation decisions.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Every animal "takes" something. I think you need to get over this (or not, it's up to you). How many of us would have a job if someone didn't need to "take" something.
Hope that isn't directed at me! I take, I know that. I'm ok with it
Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 AM

madkeenreefer is on a distinguished road

When/if all the reefs are gone and the oceans are in collaps due to changing enviromental conditions ect, the advanced hobbiests , the Public Aquariums of the world will be the only chance we have to perhaps rebuild. (Before this point all coral imports will long be stopped one would imagine and the basic hobbiest like me will be few and far)
Maybee only in this future could the advances/actions of the hobby today be seen as benificial.. but today surly not.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Saving the worlds coral reefs from extinction by having an aquarium in your living room might be setting the bar a bit high
Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Saving the worlds coral reefs from extinction by having an aquarium in your living room might be setting the bar a bit high
I didn't want to say that. But ya. Not going to happen
Old 12-22-2015, 03:33 PM

madkeenreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure if this was a reply to my post ?
I doubt that any home based reef will make a difference short or long term hence the remark towards public aquariums ��

I would say we hinder to be clear ��

Last edited by madkeenreefer; 12-22-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkeenreefer View Post
Not sure if this was a reply to my post ?
I doubt that any home based reef will make a difference short or long term hence the remark towards public aquariums 😉
Still not going to happen. A, the volume isn't there. B, logistically not workable. C, the reefs all died due to other environmental issues, so putting our captive corals back in the ocean will just kill them.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:48 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
People who "took" something from the Mariculture industry provided jobs to an impoverished area and added value to the reefs. Try a few Google searches to see whats going on.

Same goes for rock, sand or whatever... as long as it is done in an environmentally sustainable way. There's no way for me to know if this is the case, since I buy most things through several middle men, but again adding value to the reefs will encourage local governments to make good conservation decisions.
This industry is a looooong way from being sustainable. Greed rules the day. If you can pull it off the reef to make a dollar today, who cares about tomorrow. That's the thought process of many of the exporting nations.

Yes, when compared to other factors, the impact of the hobby is relatively small. Unfortunately, it's the other factors that will have the ultimate say in the future of it. Bottom line is that if you remove animals from an ecosystem will have an impact. Period.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 PM

George is on a distinguished road

A lot has been said about removing animals from the reef can impact the reef. I agree with that.
More overall, the stuff that we are dumping can also impact the environment. A lot of people are using medicine to treat their animals and just dump the waste water directly into the sewage or worst directly to storm drain without neutralizing the water first. That can impact the environment.
Also the waste water from our water change can impact the environment. It may have some stuff (live or not) that may not be native to our local environment. Dumping them into sewage and/or storm drain may introduce them to our local environment.