Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Im not going to buy a 1/2" clown that will fit whole in my wrasses mouth.... some of the ones there were TINY....
And the tank is 150g. Everyone had their own space, she just thinks it all belongs to her.

If i fluke on J&l with a larger pair one day ill grab the male.
They had a larger pair there in a seperate tank today but they were still a smidge smaller then id like. Well see how she does with the new additions.
She promptly chased every new addition when i added them. Had to shoo her away with one of my sticks so i could let them find a spot to hide in peace.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:52 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Im not going to buy a 1/2" clown that will fit whole in my wrasses mouth.... some of the ones there were TINY....
And the tank is 150g. Everyone had their own space, she just thinks it all belongs to her.

If i fluke on J&l with a larger pair one day ill grab the male.
They had a larger pair there in a seperate tank today but they were still a smidge smaller then id like. Well see how she does with the new additions.
She promptly chased every new addition when i added them. Had to shoo her away with one of my sticks so i could let them find a spot to hide in peace.

Yea 1/2". That is overly small for sure. That's smaller than I remember seeing.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ugh, I hear you. The captive bred Clowns are coming in smaller every year. 1/2-5/8" isn't uncommon at all! The problem is that 90% of people want whatever is cheaper, 8% think smaller is cuter, and 2% will pay more for something bigger. Most wholesalers have a variety of sizes available, but the retailers are buying the smallest size because it's the cheapest, and that caters to 98% of the buyers. Ask your LFS if they can order bigger ones.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Follows the rules!

i think the micro clowns were on the invert side. But not in the same tank as the majority... cant remember exactly.
Even the 1" ones i would worry wouldnt last. I will just wait and hope to fluke out like i did when i got my female. Either that or maybe the other fish will get mad and retaliate. If she dies then I can get a pair of maroons or another type of clown.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Maroon clowns would definitely take over your tank and terrorize the smaller fish. My big female maroon would even pull up my frogspawn colony out of its hole and toss it with her mouth, like she was a Scottish Highlander doing a caber toss. Had to finally tear that tank apart to catch out the maroons. So if you don't like aggressive clowns, shouldn't consider maroons as future additions.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Follows the rules!

Haha yeah i knew the maroos are worse but their oh so pretty. But there are so many clown varieties it would be hard to decide.
I do like the classic nemo look so
Shes behaving herself so far.
I will probably wait for a fluke pair at one of the LFS and snag the male.

My sailfins fin appears to have healed overnight while she had it down(in?) Guess that was long enough for it to stick to itself and heal slightly.
Hogfish tail still has a bit missing but healing fast.

Everyone is a bit occupied with the new fish she cant figure out who to go after so shes schooling with the anthias on and off.

Last edited by Coasting; 12-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
i think the micro clowns were on the invert side. But not in the same tank as the majority... cant remember exactly.
Even the 1" ones i would worry wouldnt last. I will just wait and hope to fluke out like i did when i got my female. Either that or maybe the other fish will get mad and retaliate. If she dies then I can get a pair of maroons or another type of clown.
That's the problem with a mature tank
Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
That's the problem with a mature tank
Exactly.
So many times ive gone in and seen a fish I want... but its so small!
Its hard to imagine any of my fish were ever that small. I swear they were bigger when I got some of them then what they get in now. (Not just talking j&l here) Had to turn down quite a few wrassed because they would not have survived at their size.

I did grab a blue damsel. Heres hoping its enough of an ass to hold its own... at 1" he was the biggest blue one that had aside from the big big one that had lost its baby colours and was an ugly grey. Hes got a chunk missing from his tail but I think the hogfish did that.