Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM

langley reefer is on a distinguished road
Default phosphate reactor

Hello all, well after months of fighting with high phosphates(.25 ppm) and trying many things to combat it (phosphate absorbing compound in sock, reduced feedings, vodka dosing) I am ready to try a tlf phosban reactor. Just want to know your experiences and what type of media you use in your reactor. Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

I use rowaphos in that reactor run from a manifold off my return. I've used it for about a year and it seems to work. I have about 85g system volume and put about 3/4 a cup in the reactor and I change it about every 6 weeks. I set the flow just enough so the surface is just "boiling". Even though I rinse it till the water runs clear there are still some fines that are released when I connect the reactor. I now add some filter floss on top of my filter sock and put the outlet hose on that till the next day. That seems to catch some bits and pieces (gunk from the hose I assume) as well as it stains the floss rust in about the size of a loonie. The simmer pulls out a few small fines and the bottom of the sump in the skimmer chamber (where my reactor outlets normally go) gets a small amount of black dust that accumulates over months. Easily cleaned out.

I also find it useful to use one of those strap wrenches (technically ours was sold as a jar opener) to open the reactor. The one I use for carbon doesn't have that issue, so somehow the GFO makes it harder to unscrew the top.

Hth,

- Ian
Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

I use ROWAPHOS, but also vodka dose. My phosphate is finally between .02-.04. And a minimal amount of biopellets.

I am also in Langley (in case you want to see my setup).