Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

When its tuned and how I like the thing is silent. It just gets noisy when the level fluctuates. I have thought of throttling back my pump but my gate valve isn't very open in order to maintain a siphon so I never bothered.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

why not just put an ato on it?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:08 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
why not just put an ato on it?
Or at the extreme least, put a drip on it

Seriously though, if you can't afford the money or time right now for an ATO, you could setup a small jug with say something such as a drip per second until you sort stuff out
And if you're concerned about too much freshwater, just use a 1G jug to start with -like a plastic milk jug. At least it's something you could re-fill daily and not worry about over-dripping, if you know your daily usage ...

Do something man, for silence's sake, and to save the splashed wall and noise

Or you could always go sleep with the dogs ....
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
When its tuned and how I like the thing is silent. It just gets noisy when the level fluctuates. I have thought of throttling back my pump but my gate valve isn't very open in order to maintain a siphon so I never bothered.

Fluctuations in the return chamber create fluctuations in how the pump operates , this then leads to fluctuations in the overflow , the gatevalve is set based on the pumps running condition so any fluctuations on how it operates is derectly linked to your herbie oveflow , It is very common in herbie set ups

Throttling back the pump won't do anything as its not the speed of the pump but the consistency it's running at.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am taking it all on board and will get on it at the weekend. Watch this space

Old 10-02-2014, 04:31 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Say what u want but i've had numerous tanks with herbies, no ato and no problem keeping them quiet. A valve will make all the difference because the fluctuation in the return compartment is now irrelevant because of the back pressure caused by the valve. A valve does nothing to change the speed of the pump. I'm not sure where u got that from... It just gives it a consistent restriction to pump against... Anyways... I'm not here for a debate. I'm just offering suggestions for duncan.

Last edited by Skimmin; 10-02-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Say what u want but i've had numerous tanks with herbies, no ato and no problem keeping them quiet. A valve will make all the difference because the fluctuation in the return compartment is now irrelevant because of the back pressure caused by the valve. A valve does nothing to change the speed of the pump. I'm not sure where u got that from... It just gives it a consistent restriction to pump against... Anyways... I'm not here for a debate. I'm just offering suggestions for duncan.
Yeah your right , since it works for you it must work universally for everyone as is the law of reef and you've def got more experience then me from what I can tell , if that's what we're gong by lol pay no attention that several people have pointed it out as well but when your right your right , right?;p

Would be simple enough to test .......fill return chamber , set herbie , let chamber drain , see if herbie stays set....easy peasy
Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 AM

I am really getting peed off with my Herbie. Like I said I have never had these problems before. I cannot make an adjustment small enough to get the level to settle.

I have tried keeping the return level the same in my sump ans it still fluctuates. I've tried running a trickle down the return and its too noisy.

What the hell!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Do you have a gate valve or ball valve. I'm assuming you have a ball valve. Somehow I lucked out with my first tank with a Herbie and was able to tune with the ball valve.

Current build I needed to get a gate valve to make smaller adjustments.

You could also try not running your emergency straight down so the water doesn't have do far to fall which is most likely where your sound is coming from.

Can you post a picture of all your plumbing and maybe a short video may help to get a better picture of what you're dealing with.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:36 AM

I'll take a few more pics when I've calmed down. I have a gate valve. The same Gaye valve I have used previously. It just baffles me how its not working properly. The setup has been taken from my previous tank, exactly the same way and I didn't tinkle with the valve for a year with that one.