Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 AM

SeaSerpant is on a distinguished road

ya i guess. thanks for everything.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 PM

is there anything important that i need to know? or any basics of making one?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM

likwid is on a distinguished road

If you dont have this basic knowledge, I would suggest against starting up a nano. Like they all said, it is way more work to keep a nano tank. I just saw that you are only 13 years old, and I may be wrong, but I don't think most 13 year olds have the discipline to keep a high maintenance tank like this.

If you feel you can do it, check out http://www.nano-reef.com for some great information and articles.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
If you dont have this basic knowledge, I would suggest against starting up a nano. Like they all said, it is way more work to keep a nano tank. I just saw that you are only 13 years old, and I may be wrong, but I don't think most 13 year olds have the discipline to keep a high maintenance tank like this.

If you feel you can do it, check out http://www.nano-reef.com for some great information and articles.
I don't think that's really fair. I've known a few young kids that keep nanos. You can't judge a person solely on their age. People mature at different rates. I know lots of 25-30 year-olds that don't have the discipline to keep a nano.

It's funny how a lot of us reefers portray reef keeping as this near impossible feat. It does not need to be complicated, nor high maintenance. Honestly I think a larger tank is a lot more maintenance than a nano... and I'm not sure where the popular idea of the opposite comes from. Sure a larger tank is more stable and this is very important when keeping SPS. But a nano that is properly stocked can be just as healthy, with far less sweat going into water changes, glass cleaning, filter maintenance, etc.

SeaSerpent, check out nano-reef.com as likwid suggested. It is a great site. I'll write up a simple guide to keeping a pico or nano and post or PM it to you.

Last edited by GrimReefer; 02-19-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Mattgesy is on a distinguished road

ok i have to put my comment in on this one lol
i am 21, and feel like i am in my 40s alrighty lol no afence to the 40 year old not saying that i dont like it lol but please dont be mean to us becuase we are young, becuase i can put you to shame (not trying to be a jerk)but i have to watch out for people like me, its my job :P

SeaSerpant : no seahorse please, they are hard to take care of unless you know and read alot, go with a bigger tank for these guys, they like to move around alot, but not with alot of flow, becuase flow can kill them causing them to bash into rock and hurting them, which isnt good at all go with a clown or damsel , something :P its eaiser and cheaper :P and cheap is good:P

added note: i know alot of people older that cant even take care of a tank, becuase its "oh i have to party and drink my life alway"
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM

richtg is on a distinguished road

Maybe we can substitute the word "age" with "experience"...

The bottom line is that any reefer should do the research first and have the discipline and pacience to properly maintain a system, as well as willingness to continually improve knowledge and skills (experience). Anything less is wasteful of time, money, and prescious life.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

Mattgesy is on a distinguished road

aggreed, we are human though and we make mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtg View Post
Maybe we can substitute the word "age" with "experience"...

The bottom line is that any reefer should do the research first and have the discipline and pacience to properly maintain a system, as well as willingness to continually improve knowledge and skills (experience). Anything less is wasteful of time, money, and prescious life.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post

yah. i now alot of people judge me by my age but i ahve done A LOT of research maybe a month without stopping (night and day. just an example) thats about 744 hours of research. (no exageration. maybe even longer) i put this much effort into it because i'm (sortof addicted) and i can't have any other animal so i needed a hobbie and fish has taken part of my life. Ask me a few questions and i'll answer honestly from my research. no offence taken tho.

I won't keep a seahorse then. any ideas of what kind of fish i can keep in there. i know a panda goby would work, maybe 1 or 2 clownfish alone with a anemone would look great in my mind? (would that work) thanks for the input and thanks for helping out.

and i am apart of www.Nano-reef.com too i have a thread started there too but get better help here
Old 02-19-2008, 03:47 AM

likwid is on a distinguished road

If you have done the research, you would know that a clownfish needs at least 10g to stay happy and live long, let alone 2 clowns and an anemone.

An anemone will produce a ton of waste, and unless you want to be doing daily water changes, I wouldnt get one for a 5 g.

If you want something, I would go with one clown goby and no other fish at all. Maybe a shrimp as well, if you want more movement in the tank.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM

i was thinking of making 2 pico tanks with a connector inbetween so fish can go through and have a common refuge or something. i'll draw something up. any ideas of how it could work like this?