Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-07-2019, 06:03 AM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

I will point out the obvious, but one potential issue with back siphon holes is that they can get clogged. And if they do... Just make sure that sump will have enough room for all the potential water that would come down from DT, in case those holes do clog up. I read a story before where snail crawled onto one, plugged it up, and surely enough a bunch of water went all over the floor as sump was overflowing
Old 11-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Nice. Yeah looking forward to having some aquatic life in my house again. Been over 4 years since I've had a tank running.
Yeah. I feel your loss haha. Can only get away for so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
I will point out the obvious, but one potential issue with back siphon holes is that they can get clogged. And if they do... Just make sure that sump will have enough room for all the potential water that would come down from DT, in case those holes do clog up. I read a story before where snail crawled onto one, plugged it up, and surely enough a bunch of water went all over the floor as sump was overflowing

Noted. I'm thinking about adding a small air hose onto the hole to help prevent clog up or maybe just stop being lazy and add a check valve to the return line. As for snails....can't predict those bastards and where they will go. I've had snails crawl out of the tank and motor around for a few minutes before going back to the water
Old 11-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Noted. I'm thinking about adding a small air hose onto the hole to help prevent clog up or maybe just stop being lazy and add a check valve to the return line. As for snails....can't predict those bastards and where they will go. I've had snails crawl out of the tank and motor around for a few minutes before going back to the water
hahaha, snails are batshit crazy for sure. Idea with air hose, i actually like that, as I will need to think about that when I start planning my plumbing and all that fun shortly. As for the check valve, I was thinking about those as well, but read way too many stories of them failing as well. A lot of folks are saying dont even bother, as it is like playing Russian Roulette. Question is when will they fail, not if.

Just one thread of many: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ho...umbing.294815/

With that said, one thing I will try to do is what Marc Levenson (Melev's reef) did with it. he used reverse check valve to get air in the line to break the siphon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdURonoCyZM

Last edited by cvrle1; 11-07-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol

You know what. Screw it. Do it all. Check valve, reverse check valve, drilled hole, and make sure that the outlet is high enough that you do not flood your overflow. Proper way to be paranoid haha.

Well I did three of those things. I made sure that my overflow can handle a lot of water. And I've got the drilled hole. And lastly I change the nozzle into a 45 degree elbow that is only about an inch under water. It's actually handy that my overflow can't handle a lot of water back flowing into it. I only have maybe about 12 gallons in it and it's a 33-gallon sump. I would estimate that I get about 6 or 7 gallons flowing into the sump in the event of shutdown even if I plug the hole. Which is good because I need a bout 10 gallons of water in the sump to pump back into the tank to restart siphon on the hang on back overflow. And that's roughly what I get before the pump is sucking air into the tank.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:25 PM

haha, better to be paranoid and have dry floors than the other way around.I still havent gotten to the plumbing part, so all info is good info to have once I get to it soon.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 AM

This cycling process is reminding me how impatient I can get. Ammonia is dropping. Near 0 today. Still waiting on some algae growth so I can add a CUC
Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986
First off....man has this forum died down in the last 6 years since I disappeared from the hobby! Checked out how things were going on the FB pages but those are severely limited in...well....everything. So, I suppose I'll do what I can to bring some more life back into the old forum.

Anyways, I decided it was time for my return!
Welcome back! Can't wait to see when you start planting corals in it.

Will be good to see some photos of the plumbing on your actual setup.

Titus
Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Hello

Welcome back! Can't wait to see when you start planting corals in it.

Will be good to see some photos of the plumbing on your actual setup.

Titus
Thanks Titus! Good to see you're running things still. Anyways I'll get those pics to you guys of the under tank business once I clean up the wiring a tich. Not my proudest work so far haha. I just wanted to see life breathed into the system
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

welcome back bro good to see you getting back into the hobby again I took a bit of a break from this hobby. wow its been 5 years for me Nov 2013 when I took my baby down. but after a hard 3 years with my mental health from over seas and my current retirement of the forces on Sept 11but its time to start up again. 10 footer and sorry bro for stealing your thread.

congrats again man and welcome back
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
welcome back bro good to see you getting back into the hobby again I took a bit of a break from this hobby. wow its been 5 years for me Nov 2013 when I took my baby down. but after a hard 3 years with my mental health from over seas and my current retirement of the forces on Sept 11but its time to start up again. 10 footer and sorry bro for stealing your thread.

congrats again man and welcome back

Duuuude. 10 footer that's a hell of a return to the hobby my friend. Glad you're in order to return! Especially coming back big!