Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

So my NO3 has been tested by two test kits. API which showed zero and Salifert which showed just above zero. In case I had issues that i wasn't detecting, a few weeks ago I started with Biopellets (though a minor amount). This was well after corals started dying in mass.

I have searched corals for pests but can find none. My frag tank is attached to main tank and frags have gone through same issues. I've dipped them in several dips but nothing visible. Haven't added a coral in many months. I was too full.

Might try a Revive dip to see if maybe bacterial infection...not sure if that would help.

The only event was an Alk dip that I described above quite a while back. ALK is now 7.1, CA is 500, MG is 1400. Tests done today. Ph is 8.32 and 8.31 on my two probes respectively.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Just as additional information, this is killing acro, monti, birdsnest...even pocci. Its not particular.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

What lights do you use and what is the schedule

What Alk test kit do you use?

Sorry for all the questions. I have had a similar scenario where all my sps died and I'm still confused on the cause, so I'm trying to see if we have similarities.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

My lights are of my own design....Cree Led along with minor T5 as a suppliment. They are all a little too high off the water (14") but they have grown my tank well for the last three years.

My ALK test is the Hanna meter. I've tried two batches of regents just in case. I also have an Elos manual kit that I checked it against periodically.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Wow, I have not updated this in forever. So as mentioned above I was experiencing some strife in the tank. Then the APEX failed while I was on Vacation and in its failure, it ignored the fallbacks as well and dumped all my dosing containers as fast as it could at once into the tank. (I had switched to 3 BRS dosers run by the APEX after my prior doser failed). This really put things over the edge and killed most of the corals in the tank that had survived the prior strife. Algae came hard after those deaths (how the fish made it through is beyond me). I've battled the algae for the last three years gaining some days and losing most. In mid 2019 I tried Vibrant and it really was what I needed to get things back on track. The tank cleaned up dramatically (although my Cheato all died) and I was able to stabilize everything.
I'm now back in game and the tank is doing mostly well. I have some cyano issues right now but I have been dealing with it. I'm back on prodibio and that has helped as well. I was lucky to get some help from local reefers and a few orders from Marine Experience to re-stock the tank with SPS. I will be using Aquaforest products to color things up and strengthen the corals as they grow.
My lights have been giving me issues for a while now and I'm currently debating moving to fixtures if I can make the pricing work. My lights were never full spectrum and so I always wondered if I could get more color from my SPS if they were.
I've attached a few pics to give an idea on how it looks.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:46 PM

Gools is on a distinguished road

looking good Mark.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

I'm still trying Nigel, how is your tank doing?

Old 02-19-2020, 12:15 AM

Gools is on a distinguished road

my tanks eh! good and bad!
If you need any fresh cut sps pop on over!
Old 02-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Other than the cyano your tank looks clear so congrats on that. I faced similar issues but not for that long thankfully. My rocks were so covered within a week of carefully brushing/cutting/plucking that I could barely see them. Vibrant was also what turned things around in my case. I have only done single, small doses maybe once every 2 months since and things are continuing to do ok for me. Looking forward to more updates =)
Old 02-21-2020, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

I wanted to give a huge thanks to my fellow reefers H2o2 and Gools who stepped up with some amazing frags to get me going with fuzzy sticks. I can't thank you both enough for your generosity!!!