Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
Looks like Concept is scaling down the livestock aspect of their store and re-focusing on the tank building end of things, so that should be good news.
Yes, I'm glad to see this is finally happening, and Dave can focus on the tank building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
I have yet to get the tank wet, while I am overall pleased with the quality of the tank... It is missing one major thing for me... The tank is to be bare bottom and I had requested to have a white bottom.

Problem is, they forgot about the white bottom.
And me being in Burnaby, and the tank being 8' long, I'm waiting to see what their solution is. I cant think of one. So we shall see.
Vinyl is easy to install, but difficult if you've never seen it done before. You can get the vinyl from a sign company, or a company that installs vinyl advertising on vehicles. You may be able to hire someone from on of those companies to install the vinyl on your tank bottom. Hopefully you don't have to pay for that yourself.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-26-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:39 AM

TheZoalander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Hey all,

Been out of the hobby for a few years but thinking about getting back into it with a new custom build. Just wondering now who are the reputable tank builders with a focus on quality and craftsmanship. I know about Miracles in TO but was hoping for someone closer to the west coast. Before I got out of the hobby Concept in Calgary were highly recommended. Are they still?
Highly recommended Ocean by Design in Bellingham WA. Their quality in the silicone, polishing and the way the glass panels all lined up were up to what you would expect from a "custom" tank builder. Prices were comparable with concept even with the dollar exchange. I had a Concept tank, not the quality you would expect from a "custom" builder, honestly the quality was a bit sloppy in every area.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:10 AM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoalander View Post
I had a Concept tank, not the quality you would expect from a "custom" builder, honestly the quality was a bit sloppy in every area.
I have to concur
Old 12-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yes, I'm glad to see this is finally happening, and Dave can focus on the tank building.

Vinyl is easy to install, but difficult if you've never seen it done before. You can get the vinyl from a sign company, or a company that installs vinyl advertising on vehicles. You may be able to hire someone from on of those companies to install the vinyl on your tank bottom. Hopefully you don't have to pay for that yourself.
Yeah never seen it done, can't imagine i'd do a decent job.

But in all honesty I don't think white vinyl on top of the bottom panel is a good idea. I'm thinking, scratches, cleaning, corals growing on it, not a way to ever clean it without wrecking it.

The vinyl would need to go between the glass and bottom plywood, which can't be done now.

So we shall see what we come up with as a solution.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:

But in all honesty I don't think white vinyl on top of the bottom panel is a good idea. I'm thinking, scratches, cleaning, corals growing on it, not a way to ever clean it without wrecking it.

The vinyl would need to go between the glass and bottom plywood, which can't be done now.

No, you definitely don't want the vinyl on the inside of the tank. The glue on the vinyl is probably not reef safe. And the vinyl will break down over a fairly short period of time. You'll see some people refer to a "starboard" or HDPE bottom. This is the material used for commercial cutting boards. You can buy it at most places that carry acrylic. Starboard is a brand of HDPE plastic. Half-inch thick is a good size if you can get that, too thin and it will wrinkle. Make sure you cut it a little bit loose because it will expand in the water a bit. It floats though... And silicone won't stick to it so when you put it in there you have to use the rocks to hold it down. I think it looks better in tanks that have black trim or sit down into trim on the stand because it blocks the detritus that falls down in between the glass and the HDPE board.

Removing the plywood off the bottom of the tank is actually quite easy. Just use an exacto knife.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-29-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thats a shame the plywood bottom looks terrible BB . You could silicone acrylic to the bottom similar to how its put on the back of the tank ?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Looking at Concept right now for my new 225-300g custom tank build. The tanks I have saw on canreef which were built by concept look great! Hopefully all works out and I am able to get them started on the new build.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Again, stay on top of them. People who had things built a few years ago seem to have a completely different experience than how it is running now as Denny is gone. That and get updates as the build goes, don't just let them go silent.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 PM

Rayne is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was hoping to have more of a unanimous high praise/recommendation with them though. I'll have to consider my next move now.