Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM

turbo is on a distinguished road
Default I want to install a sump and refuge in separate tanks

G'day,

I have a 55gal FOWLR in a home built stand. There's going to be 2 lines draining from my tank's overflow. Currently nothing is plumbed, I just have the overflow box started with 2x 1" PVC drains.

I want to setup a refugium and a sump for this system. I would like to use the refuge for pod growth, so I can keep a mandarin.

The idea is this:

Separate tanks for the sump and refuge. I have the sump tank (10 gal with baffles) already purchased. It would be nice to incorporate all-in-one but there's a few limitations that prevent this, most notably this would put 100% of my flow-rate thru the fuge.

I don't quite have room for 2 10 gal tanks side by side in the cabinet, so I think I have to settle for a 5 gal refuge.

So what do you think about this?? One drainpipe to a 5 gal refuge, which I can try to get drilled so it can overflow into the sump without a siphon. The second drainpipe straight to the sump. I have yet to purchase a skimmer, but I'd put it in the middle section of the sump, then there's three baffles before the return pump chamber.

Questions:

1. Is 5 gal doable for pod production to sustain one mandarin?
2. Can I incorporate a deep sand bed or mangrove into the fuge as well?
3. In your experience, will the protein skimmer kill all of my pods? Is it okay to have it downstream of the refuge?
4. Is it ok to overflow directly to the refugium as long as it's only 50% of the total flow of the system? I can always slow this down even more with a ball valve on the drain.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Providing you have enough rock in DT you will have lots of pods but a fuge is nice. I did what you want to do and the only thing I sugessted is to oversize your overflow from fuge to sump. I had 1.5" bulkheads in mine it worked great

Even if protien skimmer does catch the odd pod a thousand more will pass it.
Though protien skimmers are not necessary in all tanks
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM

turbo is on a distinguished road
Default what do you think of this?

I think I've decided what I'm going to stick with. Provided it doesn't cost too much I'm going to have this custom sump built by a pro. The measurements are a little unorthodox so I basically have to get a custom tank if I want to go any bigger than 10 or 20 gal.

Do you see any shortcomings with this design? I basically compiled it from everything I've read about sumps over the past few days, plus tailored it to suit my wants for this tank. (i.e. mandarinfish, NO3 reduction via DSB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump design.jpg (37.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

There are other ways to go. You don't really need a DSB. Prodibio, zeo, gfo,Biopellets, vsv are all great ways to lower nutrients in tank especially with room constriction

I have a nano tank with a nanoer sump. Sump has filter sock rubble skimmer reactor and return pump. I dose prodibio and have sps dominant tank. For my years of service only being two years I'm very happy with my results

Last edited by Proteus; 12-23-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Tags
noob, refugium, sump