Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

You need to double your live rock for biofiltration.

Don't follow the CUC recommendations of LFS. Waaaaaay too high. I would only add 3-5 of a few kinds of snails for now (Nassarius, Cerith, Astrea, Turbos etc.) maybe 10-15 total.

Try a couple hermits (blue or red legged) just cause they are fun to watch (good at eating up detritus too), but not too many cause they do kill snails.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
You need to double your live rock for biofiltration.

Don't follow the CUC recommendations of LFS. Waaaaaay too high. I would only add 3-5 of a few kinds of snails for now (Nassarius, Cerith, Astrea, Turbos etc.) maybe 10-15 total.

Try a couple hermits (blue or red legged) just cause they are fun to watch (good at eating up detritus too), but not too many cause they do kill snails.
+1 on rock. Opinions may vary but 1 lb per gallon is a decent rule. Depending on how porus it is.

A reactor full of hydroton is good too as its very porus. I keep very low flow through mine and wrapped it in black paper to hopefully simulate a cryptic zone for sponge and squirts
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 AM

cantfunction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
+1 on rock. Opinions may vary but 1 lb per gallon is a decent rule. Depending on how porus it is.

A reactor full of hydroton is good too as its very porus. I keep very low flow through mine and wrapped it in black paper to hopefully simulate a cryptic zone for sponge and squirts
im treating my tank as if it is 35g as a beginer. more water makes ot easy to fix a mkstake. i feel that it will allow me to keep my tank feom crashing. ill cure and add rock soon but i want to keep it simple for now.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfunction View Post
im treating my tank as if it is 35g as a beginer. more water makes ot easy to fix a mkstake. i feel that it will allow me to keep my tank feom crashing. ill cure and add rock soon but i want to keep it simple for now.
I do kind of understand your point though less rock mean less bacteria to denitrify the tank. It would be best if you kept your bioload as if it was a 35g then also.

Should make a jornal if you haven't already

Tags
cheap, clean up crew, edmonton, new tank, sails