Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM

isaac1 is on a distinguished road
Default adding sea horses to tank

hi guys within the next two weeks i plan on adding 3 sea horses to my tank i have no other fish except for a scooter blenny the sea horses i will be adding are all captive raised and descent size, my question is, i have two corallie power heads both 425 gph now should i remove one or is it safe for both of them to be running in the tank im just not sure because i have a varity of corals and will affect them if i do this
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

First question is how big is the tank?
What kind of corals do you have?
What kind of filtration do you have?

360 Reef Tank
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Scooter blenny will compete for any live pods or live mysis that the seahorses may otherwise eat.

I know you didn't post about adding other fish but remember NO lawnmower blennies. They suck on the seahorses and make their lives miserable.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Seahorses are terrible swimmers. Koralias may be too powerful. Perhaps move these up to the top of the tank because if a seahorse gets pulled into the side of the HK, it may not be strong enough to pull free.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road
Default sea horses

I have a red sea max 130d both power heads run all the time and also a koralia running at random. at night, the two stock powerheads plus a vortech 10 in reefcrest mode the horses are better swimmers than one thinks as long as there is rock and caulpera plants to hang onto for hunting and hitching,they can handle more flow than one thinks. You will find that the male will hide while he is pregnant and color himself to match the surroundings and the female will always be on the hunt for pods and stuff,I have coral, clowns,and crabs in the tank, and no issues yet and its been about 2 years now, the horses are however really slow eaters so I leave the pumps off for roughly a half hour and always put little extra in the tank and they just go along the bottom eating as they go. Do little research first as the prefer cooler water temps.

Last edited by tinman; 05-09-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 AM

zenafish is on a distinguished road

Sorry, late post, but might still be worth posting for the record...if others decide to do a search in the future...

Without even considering excess current, there have been reports that seahorse tails can get caught in Koralia powerheads. The new designs with more guarding is better but still not good, the old design is disastrous.

I strongly advise against having one.

** Taking a break (per say) from the hobby, but keeping a selected few seahorses to show and tell. Bye bye fishroom and hello display tank :S