Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Man developing the basement is taking forever! I finally had time to put in the floor drain, build the sump stand, and silicone the overflow back on. I won't likely get a chance to plumb it before I go back to work but we shall see what happens on monday!

Rigging to hold over flow in place while silicone dried.

General arrangement. The floor drain will have the water change valve and emergency overflow plumbed directly to it.

I will try to describe the flow of water through the sumps. You can see the primary frag chamber top left, return pump chamber top middle, and overflow top right. The skimmer chamber is bottom right, filter basket chamber bottom middle, return pump chamber bottom left, refugium bottom far left.

The refugium will be fed off a manifold powered by the lower sumps return pump. The manifold will also feed a couple reactors for bio pellets and GFO.

Slowly but surely it's coming together.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM

I just picked up these beauties! Avast Marine Works MR5 & MR10 media reactors, a Mutiny II ozone reactor, and the Kraken!

MR5

MR10

Mutiny II

The Kraken

The MR5 is for GFO, the Mutiny II will drain it's effluent into the MR10 which will be packed with GAC. The Kraken is a biopellet reactor I plan on running. I still need to chose which biopellets to run, as well as which ozone generator/air dryer/pump to use. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty stoked though!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Looking good Scott, coming together nicely.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 AM

Thanks Steve, I am really excited to put your concept/design into action! I'm just trying to make sure the parts I buy are of a high enough quality that I shouldn't have to replace them in a couple years. With proper maintenance they should last as long as the system is up I hope.

Are you going to upgrade your Mitras' to the new LED configuration? I haven't given it much thought, as it's another $900.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Razor is on a distinguished road

Yes, looking great. I wish I had an open room behind mine, that's the way to go for sure.
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Are you going to upgrade your Mitras' to the new LED configuration? I haven't given it much thought, as it's another $900.
Nope, seems rather pointless for that kind of money. I might consider it the new version if I was buying new fixtures but upgrading all clusters for a couple more white LEDs in place of the red and yellow won't make a difference IMO. I don't run the whites full as it is so adding more won't really add any more light in my case. Even though the new LEDs names seem to suggest they are more of a blue white I'm still not convinced. Plus the yellow is nice for making orange sunrises and the extra red spectrum seems to have value as well. So between the two I'm still leaning towards the original.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 AM

I am hoping someone puts out a comparison of both systems running. I tend to agree with your colour preferences though. I run KZ Fiji purple and 10K's more than super blues on my current T5 systems.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Nope, seems rather pointless for that kind of money. I might consider it the new version if I was buying new fixtures but upgrading all clusters for a couple more white LEDs in place of the red and yellow won't make a difference IMO. I don't run the whites full as it is so adding more won't really add any more light in my case. Even though the new LEDs names seem to suggest they are more of a blue white I'm still not convinced. Plus the yellow is nice for making orange sunrises and the extra red spectrum seems to have value as well. So between the two I'm still leaning towards the original.
I agree with you there. I've only got my cool whites at 50% and don't want anymore white. Not unless they give me more rb, b and hv lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Suspended ceiling is in. I am happy with how it turned out!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Not really tank update per say but I got the wallpaper feature wall done today and the tile guy is coming tuesday/wednesday.

I am also picking up ~8' of 2" spaflex up tomorrow and rigging the tank to the sumps. Maybe plumb the durso's.

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef