Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM

andy8383 is on a distinguished road
Default Plywood Tank Build 300 Gallon

Hi All,

After looking through a number of threads on people who have built plywood tanks, I've decided to jump in and give it a shot. I've started to build a 300 gallon plywood tank (8' long, 2.5' tall, 2' deep) with an overflow stretching across the back of the tank. I plan to fiberglass the entire tank and install 1/2" sapphire glass in the front. The tank will be part of a non-profit office redesign I'm spearheading.

I have some experience (used to have a 75 gallon saltwater tank in college), but I have been out of it for a number of years. I know I'm going to need a lot of advice along the way, so I hope more experienced forum users can help give me some direction.

A few quick questions...

- After looking at the various waterproofing options, I've decided to fiberglass the tank (inside and outside - might be a bit overbuilt, but I want this tank to last). I've just started researching the fiberglassing process and it doesn't sound too complicated, but I have zero experience in this. Has anyone fiberglassed a tank before? Any suggestions on type of resin/hardener or where to get them? Any other tips would be very appreciated!

I've attached a few pictures to this post of the plywood being cut and screwed together. It's starting to take shape!

Thanks Everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0968.jpg (35.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0971.jpg (23.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0972.jpg (22.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0973.jpg (23.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The plywood part looks good so far. I've done some fiberglass stuff before but not a tank. I would guess it's not going to be all that easy to coat the inside of that tank properly nor will it be very cheap. Fiberglass resin is also pretty toxic stuff and don't forget you'll still have to coat the finished fiberglass with some kind of epoxy paint as it can rot. I considered something similar myself at one point but adding up costs pretty much exceeding the cost of glass so it didn't make much sense to me.

You might also want to consider 15mm starphire front rather than 12mm. Personally I think using 12mm will be a mistake as it will have a noticeable bulge. Even a standard 6ft 230 gallon uses 12mm standard and it's pretty noticeable, going up to 8 feet and softer glass will be much worse.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

I will be following as I am planning a build as well, seems that most use West, MAS, or US composites epoxy, some put a final coat of potable epoxy paint while others don't.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I know a bit about the fiberglass & epoxy process having built a cedar strip canoe. No clue about plywood tank construction though. The glass epoxy process is indeed not that difficult, but you need a well ventilated area to work in and be prepared to spend a few $$$s on the premium epoxy resin you will need. There are different weights of cloth available, not sure what would be appropriate for a plywood fish tank, but if weight is not an issue, the heavier cloth will add strength.

Various boat building forums & vendors of kits/plans will be a great source of information. My canoe is built from plans produced by Bear Mountain Boats. There's plenty of info there on glassing etc. Along with the plans for the boat I also purchased the book Canoe Craft which provided plenty of guidance with regard to fiberglass/epoxy construction. The epoxy resin I used is the one recommended by many boat builders, the West System. It is pricey but the finish is excellent. With a fish tank you may not be that concerned with the finish on the resin since it will be covered? Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

what thickness plywood are you using and are you gluing and screwing?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Check Marc's old thread on his 1000g plywood tank, he might have a few tidbits to offer

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31113
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM

andy8383 is on a distinguished road

Plywood is 3/4" inch oak. When attaching the pieces of wood together, we glue first and then screw them together. We are going to fiberglass the entire piece as well, but haven't yet.

And thanks for the link to Marc's thread. Already checked it out during the planning stages. Great build and very helpful.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

west system has a great book that explains the glassing process very well, east system is a cheaper knock off that i have been using and is very easy to use plus no need for the super ventilation that you used to need while using resins, I would not think twice about using it in my kitchen
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 AM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

last year I considered building a plywood tank, and checked pricing here and there for the resin.

I found US composite was by far the cheapest, se below, there price point, with shipping to Victoria and made in the us, so no duty, only the local tax:

1x EPOX-635416 = 10 Gallon kit $490.00

1x set of EPX-P41 $6.75

16 yards of FG-C0738 fiberglass cloth $76.00 = $572.75 + $169.98 shipping = $742.73 total

here is what I put on reefcentral
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2064052

even der wille zur macht used it for reef application
Old 08-31-2012, 02:52 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
last year I considered building a plywood tank, and checked pricing here and there for the resin.

I found US composite was by far the cheapest, se below, there price point, with shipping to Victoria and made in the us, so no duty, only the local tax:

1x EPOX-635416 = 10 Gallon kit $490.00

1x set of EPX-P41 $6.75

16 yards of FG-C0738 fiberglass cloth $76.00 = $572.75 + $169.98 shipping = $742.73 total

here is what I put on reefcentral
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2064052

even der wille zur macht used it for reef application
I remember seeing on Monster Fish Keepers someone building a Plywood tank for FAR cheaper then this. I haven't done any research into the matter but I remember thinking that, thats fairly inexpensive. You might want to look on that forum and see wha they have to say as there are alot of Plywood builds there. This was more then 2 years ago tho.

Tags
aquarium, diy, fiberglass, plywood, tank